What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OAT probe, shared output?

jbDC9

Well Known Member
Here's a dumb question I'm sure, and I've searched the archives but haven't found the answer yet, so here goes...

Can a single OAT probe split the signal to feed 2 different instruments? I'm installing a dual G5 system with the GAD13 OAT to be fed by a Davtron probe. But, I'm also installing a uAvionix AV-20S as a backup EFIS; the AV-20S has provisions for OAT input for for the usual TAS/DALT functions. I'm hoping to avoid having another OAT probe sticking out... but then again, with the G5 having OAT functions enabled, I could probably just skip the OAT input to the AV-20.

What say ye smart fellers?

Most OAT probes are simple resistance devices - needs a voltage across it and read the current going through it - not something that lends itself to multiple devices trying to share it.

Here's a dumb question I'm sure, and I've searched the archives but haven't found the answer yet, so here goes...

Can a single OAT probe split the signal to feed 2 different instruments? I'm installing a dual G5 system with the GAD13 OAT to be fed by a Davtron probe. But, I'm also installing a uAvionix AV-20S as a backup EFIS; the AV-20S has provisions for OAT input for for the usual TAS/DALT functions. I'm hoping to avoid having another OAT probe sticking out... but then again, with the G5 having OAT functions enabled, I could probably just skip the OAT input to the AV-20.

What say ye smart fellers?

agree with others that sharing is highly unlikely. Not sure why you would need TAS for your backup EFIS. Assuming you only plan to use it if the primary EFIS fails, TAS is relatively unimportant. It's mostly for flight planning, fuel consumption, etc. Im guessing you have Ground speed presented somewhere else, if not the av-20. I don't have an OAT on my GRT mini (backup) and don't feel that it is a compromise for it's intended purpose. It provides GPS speed.

Larry

Last edited:
Back