Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Default Internet

Around 2005-2006 I was searching for information on home-made paint booths online. Google search came up with portions of Sam Buchanan's web site about his RV-6 build. Had never hear of RV's before (the flying kind) and had never really thought seriously about EAB planes before that.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
723 hours and counting . . . .
Now based at Moontown (3M5)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM
been here awhile

Default Has it been that long?

I was at a grass strip in 1992 looking at a Fisher Super Koala because I was about to start building mine. A little low-wing plane started buzzing the area at a very high rate of speed and I was told "that is (can't remember the name...) in his RV-3".

A couple of years later I saw 2-3 RVs at Sun-N-Fun. But it was in 1997 when I saw my friend Mark's RV-4 going together that the RV really got my attention. It was obvious the RV was a "real airplane" as opposed to some scary odd-ball homebuilt. Then hangar-mate Robin started his RV-8 and I had to join the party in October 1997 with my RV-6 project.

It has been quite a ride!

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 02-04-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM

Default Oshkosh for sure

I think what got my attention was how many of them were there. Must have been around 1988 or so. The one that hooked me was the RV4.
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM

Default At my airline

I'm working for a (the) French airline.
In 2004, before departing for a two days trip, I met one of my colleagues reading the Vans accessory catalog. I had never heard of Vans and had never considered building a plane.
That same day, in flight to our African destination I asked my first officer what our program could be for the two days layover. He told me he would spend the time in his hotel room studying plans for the aircraft he was building.
He was building a 7A and was at the canopy stage.
The next two days were spent discussing most of what I needed to know about Vans, the models, the techniques, the tools.
Upon returning home I announced to my somewhat stunned family that my next project would be to build a plane.
It would take two years before squeezing that first rivet on my RV-7A's empennage.
RV-7A #72588 - F-PSGA
VAF #484 - Donated 2020
Flying
www.notreavion.net
Old 02-04-2016, 02:17 PM

2008 at Oshkosh. I heard the Ripon airboss giving clearances to RV after RV. The first one up close was about four years later when I relocated the Swift to KBKV Brooksville, Fl into a hangar near Dan Landry.

RV-7 "Dream Weaver" N50KB
Empennage arrived 10/14
QB Wings & Fuselage arrived 06/15
Finish & FF kits arrived 11/15
Dual screen Garmin G3X instruments and harness delivered by Stein 01/16
First flight June 13th 2018

2020 Dues Paid
Builders Log
Family Blog
Old 02-04-2016, 02:38 PM

In early 1991 we were in Tucson. I was learning to fly, My husband was taking care of the 3 year old daughter while I flew a couple of times a day.

He drove around and ended up at La Cholla airpark and talked to a guy building a little orange single place plane with a wide fat wing. He figured it might top out about 120 mph. The guy, Gene Nelson, said no, it would go more like 190+.

They both came back excited and we all went out to see it the next day.
We were hooked on the RV. I always wanted to build a plane but until that day I had never heard of the RV3.

As a kid I went to the library as often as possible to read the aviation magazines. I wanted a BD5 kit when they first advertised for a couple of thousand dollars. Fortunately as a kid I did not have that kind of money to waste on that plane.
We sat in an RV4, we are tall people and it would not have worked, but the 6A sure does.
Never a moments regret in choosing the RV. They are the best.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Default 1985 Porterville (CA) Moonlight Flyin

I saw John Harmon (who I hadn't seen in 20 years since High School) standing in front of his RV3. We chatted a bit and I went about my way, then meeting a -4 builder who talked to me for more than an hour about his plane. That was on a Saturday - I ordered a kit the following Monday and have been involved with them ever since.

David Howe
Old 02-04-2016, 03:04 PM

Fall, 1993. I'd recently finished my PPL, and subsequently purchased a Tomahawk and quickly brought in a partner who was an engineer I worked with. He had already purchased a set of RV-6 plans and extolled the Van's product.

The longer story is that the next Spring (1994), we went down to SnF where Van had his RV-4 in the Showplanes area with a little foamboard display on the wing and a stack of flyers stacked nearby. I probably joined EAA at that show.

About then, I started paying attention to US Aviatior, Kitplanes, and other magazines with a homebuilt focus. Also, a local finished his RV-4, and I saw what a nice airplane it was and the performance it offered.

By the fall of 1995, I found a barely started RV-6 tail kit listed in Trade a Plane for $600, including a C-frame dimpler, rivet sets, a 2x gun, a bunch of clekos, seaming pliars, and a number of of other tools. The kit was in Nashville, I'm in Atlanta. For $600, the guy sold me the kit and tools and met me halfway on the transportation - Chattanooga.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 02-04-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:33 PM

In 1998 I was doing my PPL and a couple of guys flew into the airport I was doing my training at in an RV4. it was the sexiest thing I have ever seen and at that stage I did not realize that you could build your own aircraft.

That aircraft was the inspiration for me building an RV7

Cheers
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020
Old 02-04-2016, 05:21 PM

My brother told me about a chance to buy his father-in-law's RV4 in 2014 for $25k.

I passed on it since I was all certificated and thinking Turbo Arrow at the time. Cut me some slack, I was only 48 when I passed on that great opportunity.

But then I was looking at and watching and found.

True to say I've learned A LOT in a short time.