Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N661DJ View Post
I have a 696 (SWV6.9) GDL39 (SWV2.8) pass thru connected to a TT AP and a TT ADI works very intermittantly, most of the time neither the ADI or the AP will receive good pass thru info?? 696 is set to NMEA out and fast. Garmin tech said "that should work" it doesn't?? Should the yellow wire be grounded?? will the pass thru drive 2 devices simultaneously??
Dick
Hello Dick,

The yellow wire is the 696 receive and should be connected to the green wire (TxA) on the GDL 39 bare wire cable. The yellow wire should not be grounded.

You should also ground the White/Orange wire on the GDL 39 bare wire cable if you are not using it.

An RS-232 output will generally be able to drive two devices, but it depends on those two devices. You might try connecting one at a time and determine if you really only have a problem when both are connected. You might also verify that those other devices are sharing the same power ground as the GDL 39.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 AM

Default orange/while still grounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Dick,

The yellow wire is the 696 receive and should be connected to the green wire (TxA) on the GDL 39 bare wire cable. The yellow wire should not be grounded.

You should also ground the White/Orange wire on the GDL 39 bare wire cable if you are not using it.

An RS-232 output will generally be able to drive two devices, but it depends on those two devices. You might try connecting one at a time and determine if you really only have a problem when both are connected. You might also verify that those other devices are sharing the same power ground as the GDL 39.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, with the new software is it still best to ground the orange/white wire if no using it. My application will be to pass flight plan info from the 696 thru the gdl39 to my GRT system, the GRT then feeds the TT autopilot. Currently only one wire is used between the 696 and the GRT.
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 08-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFear View Post
Steve, with the new software is it still best to ground the orange/white wire if no using it. My application will be to pass flight plan info from the 696 thru the gdl39 to my GRT system, the GRT then feeds the TT autopilot. Currently only one wire is used between the 696 and the GRT.
Hello Bill,

Yes, the guidance in the manual still recommends you ground the unused RxB White/Orange wire when not used.

You will be using the Orange TxB wire from the GDL 39 to provide data of the selected type to these external devices.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:37 PM

Default Thanks Steve

Got it, will let you know how the install goes.

As others have said, great to have access to you on VAF!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:12 PM

Smile

Bill, mine is wired as you said yours would be, daisy chaining the GDL39, 696 and autopilot eventually. I really like it. I remote mounted the GDL as well and just connected a spare transponder stub to it on the belly. Cleaner up on the glare shield. I also think Garmin should have stuck with the 696. Does it all and no fingerprints. Just me

exemption option waived. Donation appropriate.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:46 PM

Default Hmmm

I have been thinking about the remote mounting question. I did not want to do that because I hear you can use the GPS in the GDL39 to connect with your ipad even if using Foreflight (which I do). I think I still have the remote GPS puck from the 696 that was never used, wonder if that will work with the 39 so I could put in under the dash.

With that said, what can you tell me about the transponder antenna you used? Where did you mount the unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
Bill, mine is wired as you said yours would be, daisy chaining the GDL39, 696 and autopilot eventually. I really like it. I remote mounted the GDL as well and just connected a spare transponder stub to it on the belly. Cleaner up on the glare shield. I also think Garmin should have stuck with the 696. Does it all and no fingerprints. Just me
Old 08-10-2015, 06:11 PM

Thumbs up My remote mount

You can checkout my GDL39 remote mount here:
http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 08-11-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFear View Post
I have been thinking about the remote mounting question. I did not want to do that because I hear you can use the GPS in the GDL39 to connect with your ipad even if using Foreflight (which I do). I think I still have the remote GPS puck from the 696 that was never used, wonder if that will work with the 39 so I could put in under the dash.
Bill,

Just to be clear, your 696 will provide GPS data to the GDL 39.

No GDL 39/39R connected to a Garmin Aera 5XX/7XX, GPSMAP 69X, or G3X/G3X Touch system needs a GPS antenna to be mounted remotely.

The GDL 39 will share GPS data with connected tablets/phones regardless of whether it is using its internal GPS receiver, or GPS data from a connected Garmin system.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-11-2015, 06:52 AM

Default Nice job! Thanks Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhester View Post
You can checkout my GDL39 remote mount here:
http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Any difference in adsb performance with permanent antenna? Which one did you use?

Thanks steve great to know on the GPS.