Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
I too was slightly over gross and tail heavy with all my stuff and it was a concern for sure.
Bob, are you sure you weren't right at the approved gross weight and aft cg limit?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 AM

Default So sorry

Rob,
Sorry to hear this happened to you and your plane. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. We thank you for sharing so that we can learn from it. Very happy to hear that you and your passenger were not harmed in any way. This is why you have insurance.....
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 07-31-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
Bob, are you sure you weren't right at the approved gross weight and aft cg limit?
Dang you, autocorrect!
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Old 07-31-2015, 08:02 AM

I usually add 5 knots on final when at higher gross weights and C.G.'s toward the back of the envelope.

I still had 4 crappy landings out of 6 on my OshKosh adventure with 1 go-around. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM

Thank you for sharing, this is good info, and sorry some cant play nice. So as mentioned above, do others agree that while low on fuel and aft heavy, a 5 to 10 Kt increase on final would help, or would you lose too much elevator authority when flaring?
Old 07-31-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Thank you for sharing, this is good info, and sorry some cant play nice. So as mentioned above, do others agree that while low on fuel and aft heavy, a 5 to 10 Kt increase on final would help, or would you lose too much elevator authority when flaring?
I'm not sure I see how.

This seems to be an issue of pitch, not power. I suppose it depends on how far out of the envelope you are. I generally find that trim when deploying flaps is unnecessary in my Oshkosh profile. to me, it's simply a matter of being aware of the situation (which will also reveal itself in the first 50 feet once you add power on takeoff... or when you find yourself dialing in nose down trim en route).
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Last article: "Gonna Finish This Sucker" (Kitplanes)
Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 AM

+1 on bleeding speed with that stubby wing. Landing long is a trap. We are all used to being in the flare at that height and bleeding speed way on the back side of the power curve. To fly down the runway without doing that you need to get the nose way down and fly faster and this is unnatural. You are not the first to get caught. I am glad you are ok and insured.
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 AM

I also appreciate the candor regarding your incident. By putting this out there you may prevent the same thing or worse from happening to another pilot, and that's what it's all about.

In the Military this attitude seems to vary a bit service to service but it's important to discuss mishaps to improve the safety. Thanks again.

One thing I noted in the transition was how quickly this low aspect wing bleeds speed once the AoA increases in the flare and how different my -6 lands at the back of the CG envelope. I still have some poor landings in that condition if I forget... I mostly fly it solo and the difference is substantial.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 AM

Default Thanks!

I really appreciate this open conversation. I was certainly aware of how my RV7a really starts to sink on the back side of the power curve. I have not experienced the issue with an aft CG. Our plane is naturally nose heavy so this has not been an issue. But as I load it more and go on longer legs this is great information to have.

So sorry for the incident and the damage to your plane, but glad you are OK. Thanks again for sharing this.
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 07-31-2015, 03:09 PM

Rob, don't feel bad. Everybody who flies much has had at least one landing that was followed by a nonchalant walk-around inspection, if you get my drift.