to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2015, 02:57 PM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdearborn View Post
I'm proud to be part of this community!
I was just thinking the same thing. Super bunch.
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 07-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Steve and Mary,
So sorry to hear the bad news!!! We would like to help any way we can - even if it is just buying your dinner :-) where are you guys? Send us a message with your number.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:50 PM

FYI - the -7 & -9 use the same rudder.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 07-23-2015, 08:10 PM

Default Tools

Steve:

Check your email and or PM, if you need tools, let me know. (phone number in PM and email) I am still at OSH.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:42 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Dang bad luck Steve - but look at it this way .... you "just" need a rudder - the other guy needs a teardown for a prop strike!

Incredible community, for sure.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-23-2015, 10:03 PM

We plan to be at the emergency repair station around 7:00 am tomorrow to remove the rudder. Butch is bringing his rudder at 8:00. I am willing to work with a peanut gallery if need be. So if anyone is interested come on down.

Oh and Paul, you know the other guy. We flew into Osh with you and Louise two years ago. Yep, he did it to me.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 PM

Default Thanks

A note of thanks to everyone who helped me with my damaged rudder at Osh. A super thanks to Butch who saw my post before he left for his weekend trip to Osh last night and called to tell me he could bring me a rudder which he did. It was a good rudder with good workmanship. He brought it out to the emergency repair station Friday morning before 7:00. I arrived shortly after 7:00 and started taking my damaged rudder off and putting his on. Everything worked nicely. By 9:30 we had the new rudder on and I was ready to fly.

In addition to Butch's rudder, I had gone to talk with Vans after the accident. They had a retired 9 back at the shop. Workers in Aurora went to work removing it and packing it in a shipping crate and shipped it overnight FedEx. I received a call from the EAA warehouse shortly after 9:30 that the crate was in their warehouse. I had made arrangements with both Butch and Vans in case there was a problem with one. I did not need the Vans rudder so they are planning to haul it back on their truck with the rest of their show materials. It was a bit of redundancy but I wanted contingencies.

Well I am writing this while back home in my living room after flying home with Butch's rudder. Butch, Van, Gus, Scott and the crew back at the Vans shop and all of the guys at the emergency repair station, especially Cy for driving me all over the grounds, I cannot thank you enough. Jerry thanks for the sandwich and water right before takeoff. I especially needed the water during the flight. John, thanks for thinking of me and working to get things done. Even though we could not work on the repair Thirsday night I appreciate the effort. Lastly, Figgs and Phil, thanks for staying around and helping. Even friends who "slash" up your rudder are still friends worth having.

I still have some work to do to get the rudder completely back to new condition but I am home now and can breathe a sigh of relief. Thanks everyone.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:31 PM

Default Glad you're home

Hey Steve,

Very glad to hear you got home safely!! I was 2 airplanes behind you in that long departure nightmare. My 9 year old son was with me. We saw you get out on your wing and throw your hands up.

Must have been frightening! After you guys pushed off into the grass I started checking my rear more closely

My boy asked what you were going to do? I told him that you're in the best place to have this happen and that you'd likeky just go over to Kidventure and have a crew of munchkins build you a new one by days end!

Darren
Old 07-26-2015, 07:16 PM

Yes it is a great community we fly with. I had a neighbor at the airport tell me I must be the luckiest guy he knows since I was able to get a rudder from someone so quickly. I don't consider it luck. I just think it is the fact I hang around (on the web) with a great bunch of people.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:41 PM

I was right behind the plane that rearended you. It didn't look good. I was wondering how it all worked out. Glad you got it fixed up and flying.