What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll your own relay systems for flaps and trim

sf3543

Well Known Member
A lot of builders that I talk with do not understand how to make the flap and trim systems work in their planes, especially when using multi-function grips like the Infinity and others.
Relay decks are available, but they can be expensive. Decks that I have seen are a single unit with several relays installed, and they work fine, but what happens if one of the relays goes bad. You probably have to replace the entire unit.
Anyway, I have been using readily available relays to make up flap and trim relay decks. They work great, are easy to replace if necessary and they are cheap. Following is a flap relay system that you can easily build up for about $30. The relays are about $7.50 each and the microswitch is about $15, depending on what kind you buy, although I have found a larger switch is easier to work with. Also, some fast connectors, a scrap of aluminum to mount them on and wire. I typically mount the unit with velcro for future maintenance
Following is a wiring diagram and some example pictures of the project being assembled and a typical installation.
I have installed quite a few of these and they have worked well for hundreds of hours. I think I had one relay go bad over the entire time.
The first picture is the wiring diagram. You have to click on it to view.
Second pic is the relays and a microswitch. (One of many you could use.)
Third pic is the relays mounted on a scrap of aluminum.
Fourth pic is the assembled unit. You can wire everything direct, but I like to use a connector for ease of future maintenance.
The next pic shows an RV8 I was working on. The flap relay system is in the lower left fuselage area partially obscured by fuse frame. The trim system, using the same relays is on the right center. (FYI a speed control is easily added to this setup if needed.)
The next two pics show the microswitch installation, under construction, in my RV3. in this case, when the flaps go up, the switch touches the back of the bulkhead and turns off the flap motor at the top of the travel. On the RV8, I used a similar method, but since the geometry is different, I was able to thread a long 8-32 machine screw through the bulkhead, in a nutplate, which the switch arm contacted. This made the system adjustable by turning the screw in or out. Use your own creativity here.
If there is any interest, I can provide similar information on building up a trim system, using four of these same relays. Additionally, you can use relays to operate other things such as the starter, and fuel pump. The last pic shows how I wired up the relays in the RV3. Instead of making separate decks, I just lined them up on the electronics shelf and wired them in directly to the units since access was so easy.
Its a lot of fun, doesn't take much time to do, is pretty cheap and will help give you a better understanding of how relay systems work.
Hopefully, you will find this useful and maybe give you some ideas on how to use relays..

Attachments

• Flap System w up limit switch (generic).pdf
    57 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    671 KB · Views: 220
Its a lot of fun, doesn't take much time to do, is pretty cheap and will help give you a better understanding of how relay systems work.
Hopefully, you will find this useful and maybe give you some ideas on how to use relays..
Very cool, Steve. Thanks for sharing this with us. I count myself in the group that has gone from "electricity is magic" to "ok, I have a basic understanding of this" thanks to interesting articles like this. Might want to talk to the kitplanes guys to get it published there - I'm sure there are lots of builders that would be interested, even if in the end they buy the "store bought" solutions that are out there.

Thanks to Steve’s relay system above, my relays have been limiting the up travel on my flaps, actuating the pitch trim speed control based on flap setting, and my fuel pump from my Infinity stick grip for 1800 hours and 14 years. Never had a failure. Steve encouraged me to use the relays during my build back in 2004 or 2005.

Back