What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Sold

Kevin Horton

Well Known Member
Today was a very bittersweet day, as I handed over the RV-8 to its new owner. He flew the aircraft north, to a new home back in Canada.

We will be moving to Green Bay, WI in a few weeks, where my wife has a large family. While we have greatly enjoyed flying the RV-8 for the last 13 years, a four seat cross-country aircraft better fits our needs for the next few years. After we arrive in WI, I hope to find (or create) a partnership that has several aircraft types, including a four seat cross-country aircraft, a single seat aerobatic aircraft and a high wing aircraft suitable for ops on short strips and skis in the winter.

IMG_4999_small.jpg

Last edited:
many years ago I followed your build tips closely. I recall the alum split tube glare shield edging working very well for me and others I made them for. it's still there and working very well. selling a homebuilt aircraft that you put a lot of thought into must be an emotionally filled bittersweet moment. all the best to you Kevin.

ah, the memories....

100_4778_zpsoi6tzowk.jpg

100_4806_zpsukbkvkfr.jpg

100_4781_zps8nzvqqgv.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Midwest! Parting with you RV has to be a major event.

You will less than 2 RV time units away and OSH in your back yard! Bring warm clothes. :D

Are you thinking about building an RV10?

I was reading every single post by Kevin Horton. Wealth of knowledge shared over the years thanks Kevin! Glad to have you here.

Welcome to the Midwest! Parting with you RV has to be a major event.

You will less than 2 RV time units away and OSH in your back yard! Bring warm clothes. :D

Are you thinking about building an RV10?

We spent six years in Cold Lake, AB, where -40° wasn't uncommon in winter, and 22 years in Ottawa, one of the coldest national capitals in the world. I'll complain, but we'll survive winter.

I'm waiting to learn more about the RV-15 before I decide on any future build projects. I do like the RV-10, but I would want an interim four seat aircraft if I did a build.

Wow - the end of an era! When I started building my -8, I got on the internet and found two web sites - Kevin’s and Mickey’s - both of which were treasure troves of details that helped me immensely. Long before VAF, those were the places that -8 builders went to find the pitfalls and tricks.

It was years before I met Kevin in person, but we communicated, and I learned a bit about his background, that he was former Canadian military. One day I was working a simulation in Mission Control, and another Canadian military pilot, Chris Hadfield was sitting beside me, working as my Capcom. I asked Chris if he knew of a guy named Kevin Horton, and I’ll never forget his response.

“Kevin? Yeah, he and I were in classes as cadets together!” He paused, then added “the smartest guy I ever met!”

That’s saying something!

Hope you stick around the RV community virtually Kevin - plenty of newbies that still need your experience, even if you’re flying something else….

Paul

Kevin

Best wishes for your move and I’m sure we’ll soon be seeing you in another vans aircraft in the future.
I remember meeting Kevin for lunch and also an airfield breakfast when in Ottawa. It’s often not until you sit down and start talking that you appreciate the depth and breadth of knowledge, of some of our VAF members.
One lucky new owner certainly has a very nice rv-8.

Regards

Peter

Me too. If Kevin writes it, I believe it.

YES! That KP article on engine power was EPIC! I have developed some additional spreadsheets and used this for my -7 and a friends -10. Then used Kevin's SS to make the POC fuel performance tables to the correct conditions. They have worked perfectly over the last several years.

Kevin,

Not the end of an era, but the start of another!

RVators in the Ottawa area have missed you since your move to Moses Lake, although I expect we will see you in Oshkosh now that you will live right next door!

I personally can't thank you enough for your help during my 8's build, as well as being lucky enough for you to do the first flights in C-GOGO !

Good Luck on your new acquisitions!

Chris

Kevin, best of luck with the move and we're looking forward to see what's next for you. Many flying RV-8s, including mine, are better because of the time you invested in documenting your build - thank you!

Kevin

We hope that you visit us at Home Built Camping at Oshkosh regardless of what airplane you buy or where you have to park it.

Kevin

We hope that you visit us at Home Built Camping at Oshkosh regardless of what airplane you buy or where you have to park it.

My wife and I both greatly enjoyed camping in the sea of RVs and meeting up with all our friends there. We'll definitely visit HBC, or maybe find a friendly RV owner to pitch a tent with.

Wow! Not the news I expected to find on a Friday morning. Kevin, please stay connected to the VAF family regardless of what airplane(s) you end up with. You are one of the mainstays of core knowledge that makes VAF such a fantastic resource.

PS you will LOVE the RV-15! Start planning your build today!

Hi Kevin,

I'm jealous. I grew up in Door County and learned to fly at a little airport called Rio Creek, just east of Green Bay. There is a wonderful grassroots flying community in northeast WI. Check out EAA Chapter 651 in Green Bay, Jay Baeten's fly-in breakfasts and the lunch at Iola Central County. I'm sure you will find a great flying club.

Katie

Hi Kevin,

I'm jealous. I grew up in Door County and learned to fly at a little airport called Rio Creek, just east of Green Bay. There is a wonderful grassroots flying community in northeast WI. Check out EAA Chapter 651 in Green Bay, Jay Baeten's fly-in breakfasts and the lunch at Iola Central County. I'm sure you will find a great flying club.

Katie

Thanks for the advice Katie. I’ll check out those leads once we get settled in.

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin,
Best wishes in the next chapter of your travels. I started building an RV-8 in 2005 and I read and reread your build site many times for both guidance and inspiration. Thanks for sharing you knowledge and experience.
-Mike

Hi Kevin,

Katie

I'll second this. There's a bunch of RVs around, including 2 RV8s ( one mine). Plenty of GA at KGRB, but for homebuilding/fun stuff check out the local airports: Carter, KMTW, Nicolet, Rio Creek, KOCQ, etc. KCLI perennially has the cheapest fuel in the midwest. KEZS has 2 restaurants next to the airport.

I'd be interested in a club like you are describing.

Can only echo what others have said… your builders log was trusted inspiration on our -8 build.

I know the feeling! You were an inspiration to many of us early 8 builders. Enjoy your future!

As so many others have stated here, Kevin was an inspiration and a huge source of knowledge for me building my -8. I was lucky in that I lived (essentially) in the same city so got to go over to his house and have a look while he was building.

He took me into his basement to look at something and there was an ejection seat up against the wall. I jokingly asked if he was going to install it in the -8. He replied "I have already used it once ...". Gulp....

We miss you around here Kevin but I'm happy to hear you and Terry are finally getting to GB. Hopefully we'll see you at Osh next year (we'll be in a Maule in the North 40 .... for now ...)

Cheers

New Owner for Kevin Horton's RV-8

Kevin, I'm sorry to see that you sold the beautiful Golden Hawk, but I am sure the new owner is delighted.
Back in 2010, you and Chris C. and I were sitting in a restaurant in Ottawa talking about aircraft when I casually mentioned that I was thinking about buying a used Piper Warrior. You and Chris were mortified at this idea and said no, no, no! You gotta' build an RV!
Bowing to that kind of peer pressure, I ordered the empennage kit for my RV-9A soon after. Long story short, I am loving my -9A and have been flying it since 2015.
All the best to you and Terry in Wisconsin.
Lars Eif

Kevin,

Maybe I'm wrong, but did I give you your first hop in an RV-8 at the EAA486 RV Builders Forum at KFZY many moons ago?

I remember asking you what kind of flying experience you had, y'know...figuring you may be a low time pilot...

You gave me your credentials and I folded my arms in my lap and said, "Your airplane, sir..."

Can't wait to see what the next chapter brings!

Kevin,

Maybe I'm wrong, but did I give you your first hop in an RV-8 at the EAA486 RV Builders Forum at KFZY many moons ago?

I remember asking you what kind of flying experience you had, y'know...figuring you may be a low time pilot...

You gave me your credentials and I folded my arms in my lap and said, "Your airplane, sir..."

Can't wait to see what the next chapter brings!

That very well may have been my first RV-8 flight - my first was either that flight with you, or with Brian Denk in NM in May 2000. I can't find a clue when we drove down to Fulton, so I'm not sure which was first.

Update - I see in your signature that your aircraft first flew in 2003, so I was not an RV-8 virgin when we went flying

I did greatly enjoy the flight with you in your gorgeous RV-8, so thanks!

Last edited:
The Yellow Peril is still turning heads...

My latest project is turning stomachs (mine)...it's name will be "Pure Luck"

Attachments

• 20210705_103038.jpg
    20210705_103038.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210904_100628.jpg
    20210904_100628.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 151
Back