What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vernatherm Test

CHBJR

I'm New Here
We just finished building an RV-14. We are encountering excessively high oil temperature while CHT’s are fine (340 - 360 F). We have installed the 5” duct kit to no avail. Have ordered cowl flaps to install. In the mean time we want to check the vernatherm. I know to check the seat to make sure it is closing properly. The expansion / contraction can be checked in a hot water bath. How much should it expand and at what temperature?

We have the IO-390 Thunderbolt engine and now have 40.1 hours on the plane.

Thanks for your input.

Angel valve engines spray oil on pistons to keep cylinders cool. On a 14 I was partner with, oil temps would be high in climb in warmer (above 80) weather increasing IAS helped. Used 130 kts and still got 1000 fpm oil was 200-210.
Bob Bisbee

We just finished building an RV-14. We are encountering excessively high oil temperature while CHT’s are fine (340 - 360 F). We have installed the 5” duct kit to no avail. Have ordered cowl flaps to install. In the mean time we want to check the vernatherm. I know to check the seat to make sure it is closing properly. The expansion / contraction can be checked in a hot water bath. How much should it expand and at what temperature?

We have the IO-390 Thunderbolt engine and now have 40.1 hours on the plane.

Thanks for your input.

What oil temps have you seen? Have they decreased at all from the values during earlier flights?

Also check that timing is not too advanced, especially if running P-Mags. I've seen several angle valve engines using the jumper method and not timed at 6° after TDC.

Back