What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Life-cycle running costs

gblwy

Well Known Member
There was some comment on the engine mount thread about the number of upgraded parts on the RV12, and I guess the implied cost of these.

My plane is now just shy of 10 years since its first flight. The total maintenance cost per annum, averaged over the ten years is around $1600. This includes all replacement parts (for whatever reason) including shipping and taxes, all consumables, additional tools, labour, permits and licences as required in the UK. It also includes a complete repaint of the wings, a new radio (to comply with UK legislation) and numerous smaller improvements.

I compare this against a legacy aircraft, with an O-320, that I owned previously. It had similar performance to the RV12. That aircraft was maintained at "commercial" rates at a maintenance outfit on the same field, and cost four times as much to keep airworthy. It also cost three times as much in fuel costs.

Overall, I think that is a bargain, so I try to take a longer term view when Vans announce an expensive replacement part ;-)

Last edited:
Your post is exactly why I'm considering the RV-12. Costs. It's economical to maintain and runs on auto fuel. I've been lurking and will see what my future holds. Deciding whether to build isn't an easy decision and I've seen a number of good looking RV-12s for sale at very tempting price points.

To build or...

Your post is exactly why I'm considering the RV-12. Costs. It's economical to maintain and runs on auto fuel. I've been lurking and will see what my future holds. Deciding whether to build isn't an easy decision and I've seen a number of good looking RV-12s for sale at very tempting price points.

Hi Eric,
Here’s a thought...buy a 12 and get flying. Building is a rewarding process but not necessarily the best choice for everyone as evidenced by the number of partially completed kits for sale. If you decide to build you can do that bit by bit and apply lessons learned from your experience flying and others on these forums. Have fun in any case and
Welcome to VAF!

As far as engines go...I think a more fair comparison is the RV12 to other experimentals, specifically the Rotax to Lycoming. I'm beginning to think maintaining the Rotax might be more expensive than a Lycoming.

In 10yrs time assuming 50hrs a year usage:

-Rotax: 2 hose changes=$3000 in parts or approx. $7000+ in parts/labor if you pay to have the hose change done ($I have had quotes from $3500-4500 to have the hoses done). On average how often have people been having the sinking carb float problem? What about gearbox maintenance?

-Lycoming: 500hr mag rebuild. What's that cost?... $12-1500?

Clue me in folks...I know the above is not complete, but I'm really not sold on the belief that the Rotax is cheaper to maintain than a Lycoming. Both can burn mogas. If you slow any of the other RV's down to 120kts, they will burn similar gallons/hr as the Rotax, so fuel cost is not really a savings. I know a Lycoming will likely not go to 2400hrs without some cylinder/valve work or even maybe a top overhaul. Rotax likely will go to 2400hrs or beyond with no cylinder or valve work.

I'm not trying to poo-poo the Rotax as I believe it's an outstanding and reliable engine. I just try to look at the maintenance on both as realistic as possible.

If you run unleaded premium Mogas, you get a 1000 hr inspection on the gear box, and if you've idled the plane properly warm ups, at 2500 rpm, might need it reshimmed will Bellvue washers.

Keep the Carbs synched, get the prop pitched properly, solve ALL vibration problems as soon as they appear and stay away from slow climb rates due to over pitching the prop for excessive cruise speed, and a Rotax will go , and go, and go, like the Energizer Bunny.

Run 100LL and the gearbox inspection and rebuild comes at 600 hrs or sooner.

NGK Spark plugs are $3.25 each, check at 100 hrs or condition inspection , which ever comes first, change at 200 hrs, on unleaded, gap them tight at 0.023". Need heat dispersing lube on the threads. Wash the K&N air filters and re oil.

Ask around here, about how to replace the hoses yourself and what is suitable on an Experimental plane. You may not need to run the expensive Rotax replacement hoses.

Tires and landings... The 5.00 x 5 Air Hawk tires have a tremendous amount of tread material and tread life on them, as sold by Aircraft Spruce.

Back up Batteries for EFIS and ELT are the same for planes similarly equipped, but a Glass EFIS with ADSB In and Out will provide more safety margin and situational awareness than all steam gauges in other planes

The Rotax motor plane will be a slower flying plane, in the Van's line up. I flight plan for 105 kts cruise, usually see closer to 112 or 113 ground speed at 5200 rpm, plan for 5 gallons /hr usually see 4.4 to 4.7 gallons per hr.

If you don't like hoses, build your RV-12 E AB and put in a UL 260 IS or UL 350 IS, and run just a straight air cooled motor. They also are designed to run on unleaded premium Mogas, leaded fuel is bad for them too.

If you get carb float problems, get the unsinkable epoxy Blue floats from MS and be done with it. My RV-12 was finished in 2012, run on mogas it's whole life, 250 hrs, still on original floats. It's practically 2021 now. Knock on wood.

A Rotax rarely if ever consumes any oil between an oil and filter change. Ask around.

Last edited:
Rotax: 2 hose changes=$3000 in parts or approx. $7000+ in parts/labor if you pay to have the hose change done ($I have had quotes from $3500-4500 to have the hoses done).

You will want to replace with conductive Teflon fuel and oil hoses. These hoses have no defined replacement interval.

-Rotax: 2 hose changes=$3000 in parts or approx. $7000+ in parts/labor if you pay to have the hose change done ($I have had quotes from $3500-4500 to have the hoses done). On average how often have people been having the sinking carb float problem? What about gearbox maintenance?
I replaced our fuel lines with lifetime Teflon hoses, no more replacements. $700 and a couple hours labor, if I recall correctly. Not SLSA, so I did it myself.

Rotax

My original post included a gearbox overhaul at 600 hours, which may well not have been necessary. I was troubleshooting a vibration problem.

Carb floats have been good for 500 hours when I replaced them because one was starting to sink.

Hose replacement depends on legislation and, obviously, wear. I've checked, and seen no need to replace in 600 hours (10 years), though I recently replaced the fuel lines anyway with Teflon ones. I may do the oil lines this year.

Self-maintenance makes a big difference to costs and is somewhat easier if you built the thing to start with. If you can take a long-term view and the timing is right it is probably cost-effective to sell your 30-year old plane, retire a year early and build an RV12 in that one year, which I did ;-)

Last edited:
Back