What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Tool Mufflers or Silencers?

rwtalbot

Well Known Member
Has anyone done anything to quieten down their air drill or rivet gun? My neighbour doesn't like the air drill - says it reminds him of the dentist. I would think that there is not a lot you can do on the rivet gun, but thought I would throw it out there.

Don't know if this would work, but if there is a way to thread one into the exhaust on the drill, you could try a sintered bronze muffler: http://www.mcmaster.com/#exhaust-mufflers/=9pda57ym5jicg1q79g

I've used them a lot to control noise and the movement rate on air operated industrial valve actuators. They will produce back pressure so the tool needs to be OK with that. If the exhaust isn't threaded, it might be dangerous to try to retrofit on of these (think flying bronze missile) As you suggest, I don't think there's much that can be done about the rivet gun.

Have you seen those little disposable foam rubber air tool silencers? You buy a big box of them, give them to your neighbor, and he shoves one in each ear whenever he hears a sound he doesn't like. :D

e-a-r-taper-fit-2-uf-foam-ear-plugs-nrr-32-4.gif

Last edited:
Have you seen those little disposable foam rubber air tool silencers? You buy a big box of them, give them to your neighbor, and he shoves one in each ear whenever he hears a sound he doesn't like. :D

e-a-r-taper-fit-2-uf-foam-ear-plugs-nrr-32-4.gif

Please be sure to tell him that it is his ears that they get shoved into!

Most air drills that we use have the exhaust near the inlet. Try holding a folded shop rag up to the outlet....... then go from there.

I've seen people use green scrub pads in the exhaust port but not sure how well it works.

Back