What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sneak Peak from L-3, New Standby Indicator

Walt

Well Known Member
L-3 Aviation Products will unveil its new GENESIS ESI-500 at AirVenture on July 20, 2015. Unprecedented pricing will be announced at the show?s beginning.

%252521cid_image001_jpg%25254001D0BE24.jpg

someone else posted a price the Base model is ~$6200- with add on options for magnetic heading and syn vis.

AOPA posted an article with prices:
Base Price: $6100
Magnetometer: $1570
Synthetic Vision (plus terrain and obstacle warnings): $1300
Nav (for ILS and/or GPS approaches): $670

So, $9640 for a fully loaded kit... They made it under 10 grand, but not by much!

It appears to be certified... great for a certified airplane I guess. But in an experimental I could fit a whole separate EFIS for that!

If its a certified standby EFIS in a small package you are after Sandia already sell the SAI 340 Quattro for just under $3k. This price would could even make them more expensive than the Aspen units in the brochure Walt posted. I'd say certainly more expensive than a second AHARS for the Aspens. Obviously there must be something that I don't know here? Perhaps better features?

Just some more info for anyone interested:

Overview: L-3’s Next Generation Electronic Standby Instrument System — GENESIS ESI-500 — is one of the most advanced standby instruments designed specifically for Part 23 (Class I, II, and III) airplanes and Part 27 rotorcraft. The compact unit is scalable and comes standard with altitude, attitude, slip/skid, vertical speed (VS) and aircraft track (via ARINC 429 source). Options are available for the display of navigation information and Synthetic Vision (SynVis), including terrain and obstacles. Magnetic heading is an available option when coupled with the low cost and compact MAG-500 magnetometer. The ESI-500 is compatible with existing NAV radios and GPS hardware. An internal lithium-ion battery pack automatically powers the system without interruption upon loss of main input power.

Certification: The ESI-500 will be submitted for TSO Authorization at the end of July, 2015. L-3 anticipates having TSO Authorization by September 2015. A comprehensive AML-STC list will be available shortly thereafter.

List price for basic unit: $5535 (street [price should be around $4400)

The Sandia unit looks like it will be a great unit but it's already a year behind the expected delivery date and still not available, List $3595 street price about 3K.

Last edited:
Back