What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying a RV12 built from a school?

avgas

I'm New Here
Was looking at an add for a new RV built at a school (Tangoflight.com) Seen this add for some time so not sure how many they have built. What are some things should consider buying from a school opposed from buying from some private builder. I would think they would be extremely careful for liabilty issues.

Speaking as the guy that managed the very first Youth RV-12 build http://teenflight.blogspot.com/2009/

My opinion is that a youth build team built RV-12 should be every bit as good as one built by a single individual, and in some cases, possibly better.
The reason for that being that these projects typically involve quite a few experienced veteran builders acting as mentors, that collectively add a lot of resources for working through problems, etc.

I don't mean to say that ones built by a single individual are of less quality though.

Each needs to be judged on its own merit and inspected properly before purchase, but don't discount a potential aircraft just because it was group built.

There are actually a lot of RV-12's now flying that were teen builds. Perhaps some of the current owners will chime in regarding their experience with their airplane.

Last edited:
I’m the founder, and Executive Director of Tango Flight Inc.

We have sold nine aircraft from our different programs.

We go to great lengths to make sure our planes are built to a very high standard. Additional inspection points, mentor training, etc. I do fist flight on almost all of our programs planes, and never once have I felt even slightly uncomfortable with it being build by high school students.

BTW, the plane in the add has been sold. We are taking deposits for plane for delivery next summer if you are interested.

Feel free to give me a call (number on website) anytime if you’d like to discuss the program or purchasing one of our airplanes.

-Dan

Reactions: rot
Back