What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Value of partially completed RV-10 slow build kits

lykowdk

I'm New Here
Hi guys,
Because of life I need some help.
I need to put a value on my RV-10 slow build emp and wing kits.
Kits have been opened and emp has been started.

I'm not looking to sell, I just need to know what a fair value for the kits would be if I were to sell. Have to love ex wives.

Thanks
--Dan Lykowski

Kit value

Well....... As far as the Judge is concerned,its a pile of sheet metal and a dream(small stack of photos of your scrap pile). Yes the price is listed on the web site and as a man with a dream you made a bad spending decision(looking for some happiness in a unhappy relationship). Retail cost -50% the day it arrives untouched (just like a new car you got suckered into paying too much for then drove it off the lot -50%). Then you took it out of the box without any prior aircraft manufacturing experience and cobbled together your dream over a period of years when a professional builder assembles these in a mater of weeks.The value of your dream is now of little or no value,equal to the cost of make-up,shoes,department store charges or that trip with her mother you paid for. Unless the judge is a home builder our dream sounds like lunacy,and the project is of little value,just a dream......!
RHill

Well, their market value is always going to be somewhat less than the cost of the new kit. If your other half is insisting the kit is worth as much as a new Cessna its probably not (been there). Does it really matter if you give her half of $14k or half of $7k?

Depending upon your personal circumstances it might actually make sense for you to accept you bought an expensive toy and you should be the one to accept the loss. The kit is probably a very small component of the total asset pool, and you might make it up somewhere else when she sees you are doing the right thing.

Plenty of people will tell you to look after yourself, but it probably isn't the best advice. It is much better to come to an agreement, otherwise the valuers and lawyers take all your hard earned money and it goes on for years. Even if you think you were too generous you are way in front...

If you can, hold onto your kit. Its a good time in life to have a dream to focus on.

I would put fair market value at about 75% of the cost to replace. Email me if you need an appraisal.

I would put fair market value at about 75% of the cost to replace. Email me if you need an appraisal.

I think this is probably the best advice. If you say it's worth just metal and dreams, they will come up with some price point that is whacky and not remotely accurate..

Best advice I can give is, give her what she wants and get the heck out. Get it over with and move on with your life. It's just not worth the aggravation and frustration..

Not sure if it helps but I just purchased an empennage and wing kit for a 10 from VAF for $8500. Emp was very close to complete but the wings were just started.

Thanks!

Thanks guys, this is basically what I needed to know.
Divorce sucks, but having to give up my dream would suck worse.

Back