What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new TW fork and w and B

circuitbreaker8747

New Rv owner and new to the experimental world. I know a change most TW folks make is to change the TW fork to an aftermarket one that gives better clearance etc.. My question is 1. can I change that as a non builder? 2. Is a simple logbook entry made by me enough(no A and P etc) 3. Am I allowed to change the W and B data myself. Thank you.

Legally, anyone can maintain, repair, and even modify an Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft.
Having said that, if you are not experienced at these kinds of things, I strongly recommend that you have and A&P or experienced builder oversee your project.

If your weight & balance changes significantly, you will need to place the aircraft back into Phase I and test to the new configuration.

Last edited:
Thanks

Mel , thanks for the reply. To re enter phase 1 flight testing is there a definition for "significant" change? I can see changing a prop etc.. but would think changing out the TW fork would be a minor enough change as not to warrant that. Thanks again, trying to figure out the whole experimental world and do things correctly.

"Significant change" is a judgment call. I suspect that what you are proposing would be insignificant.

This is an excellent time to learn all about your weight and balance document. A change at the extreme aft of the aircraft can make a difference in your weight loading capability. I expect there will be very little difference with the proposed change but weigh what you take off and weigh the replacement parts. Get your weight and balance paperwork out and make the changes. It may surprise you how much a pound difference will make that far aft in the plane.
This will give you a better sense of aft loading, which is particularly important in tandem seating aircraft.

New Beringer tail wheel available.

New Beringer tail wheel:

Beringer tail wheel.jpg

https://www.beringer-aero.com/en/rubber-tailwheel

Tailwheel Documents

Welcome to the RV community!

As stated previously, changing the tailwheel fork is quite straightforward, even for a non-builder.

We've put together some installation documents available here which cover the process of installing and troubleshooting the assembly, along with a host of other information related to tailwheels.

Hope you find it helpful!

The previous poster, Blake, has given me excellent service. Happy to say he's one of the numerous good guys in this field. I'd buy from him again and probably will.

Before changing tailwheels or forks, read some of the threads about them, if you haven't.

Weight and balance calculations are not difficult. And it's always appropriate to re-weigh a plane to make sure that all the changes since the last weighing are fully accounted for. Often there are small changes, insignificant by themselves, that can add up.

Dave

Back