What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smooth blade tin snips?

HackDog

I'm New Here
First thread on VAF. Buying the tools phase at this point. So the question is, smooth blade snips or serrated? The smooth blade snips that I used a Synergy builders class were fast in the sense that had to do very de-burring. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a distributer that does sell smooth blade snips, let me know. Note: I may be over thinking this. New builder and all.

Hack

You won't need them very much during the build, but you should have both. I'm very happy with my Malco "Andy" MC12 straight snips. Aluminum handles with steel blades, very light. Also happy with my Wiss M3, M6 and M7 LH, RH and straight serrated snips

First thread on VAF. Buying the tools phase at this point. So the question is, smooth blade snips or serrated? The smooth blade snips that I used a Synergy builders class were fast in the sense that had to do very de-burring. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a distributer that does sell smooth blade snips, let me know. Note: I may be over thinking this. New builder and all.

Hack

Klinks make everthing you need in the way of tin snips. Check them out here:

https://klenk.everhard.com/product-categories/klenk-aviation-snips/

This is what the pros use.

BTW, Welcome to VAF. The official greeter will be along shortly.

-Marc

Last edited:
I usedmine quite a bit

I use mine quite a bit, the Wiss straight, left, right, another brand of bypass, and an ancient straight smooth pair. I don’t have a band saw. Short of a small drill press, I’m exclusively hand tools, which is more of a function of limited shop space in my early building. In the tool equation, they are cheap. I admit the serrated edges of the wiss’s aren’t my fave, they can walk sideways on you a little. On the other hand they will bite into those edging cuts easily and resist edge bending with small cuts in really thin material.

Just me

I used them a fare amount. I have both the smooth jaw and the serrated. i prefer the smooth jaws myself. I had a band saw, but never used it. I ended up using a hack saw for everything. My friends call me "hack". I wonder why?

I have serrated snips. I'm just careful to keep spacing well away from where I draw the cut line. Then use a file to finish off the rest to the cut line and a quick zip on the deburring wheel.

For the life of me, I can't remember what kind of file it is. Certainly not the normal machine file. Quite coarse, no cross-cut. It removes metal quite easily and evenly leaving small shavings on the work bench.

For the life of me, I can't remember what kind of file it is. Certainly not the normal machine file. Quite coarse, no cross-cut. It removes metal quite easily and evenly leaving small shavings on the work bench.

Sounds like it could be a Vixen file.

Back