What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leaking oil from Andair Fuel selector valve

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I have started my first annual and found a drop or two of oil at the bottom of the Andair fuel selector valve. I was wondering if there is any oil in these valves and is it normal or has any one seen this before. I cannot think of any other place that this oil would be coming from

What color is it? I had a very slow fuel leak in my cabin lines which looked like oil from a distance but when I started cleaning it off, it was blue which indicated fuel.

If blue, I would unscrew the fittings and make sure no one used Teflon on the threads as a "quick fix". Teflon should not be used on these type of compression fittings.

D

What color is it? I had a very slow fuel leak in my cabin lines which looked like oil from a distance but when I started cleaning it off, it was blue which indicated fuel.

If blue, I would unscrew the fittings and make sure no one used Teflon on the threads as a "quick fix". Teflon should not be used on these type of compression fittings.

D
Golden color, looks and feels just like oil by color or touch and it was under the body and not by or near the fitting/port.

When the fuel pump was new it was filled with oil. Maybe you just got some on the fuel lines there and it has been hanging around for you to find it. I suppose it could be some grease in the valve mechanism liquefying over time too? If it isn?t fuel and the valve works might just put an entry in the head scratch log.

No Permatex #2 as this valve does not use pipe fitting so no lubrication or sealant was required for the B nut

As oil in the pump goes, it is hard to imagine that it will travel upward from the pump to the valve body and leak but fuel would not leak.

My gut feeling is grease or some sort of lubricant that was used in the assembly and now is turning to liquid.

BTW, hopefully folks have remembered to punch those four little screws on each port so they don't back off. I had missed that part on my first plane and it was a chore to punch them while mounted in place.

I e-mailed Andair to see if they have any insight to where the oil is coming from.

Oily fuel...

No Permatex #2 as this valve does not use pipe fitting so no lubrication or sealant was required for the B nut

As oil in the pump goes, it is hard to imagine that it will travel upward from the pump to the valve body and leak but fuel would not leak.

My gut feeling is grease or some sort of lubricant that was used in the assembly and now is turning to liquid.

BTW, hopefully folks have remembered to punch those four little screws on each port so they don't back off. I had missed that part on my first plane and it was a chore to punch them while mounted in place.

I e-mailed Andair to see if they have any insight to where the oil is coming from.

Went to the hangar and found pool of liquid by my left main. At first I tought it was brake fluid but I have brake pressure. It was also more golden. I think it was oil fuel. I had a smell of fuel in the cabin and sound the carpet by the Andair fuel filter/pump damp with fuel. Did you find out if there is oil in the pump and that is a a sign of a failed pump?

My guess is its the preservative that Andair uses on their new parts. Like an earlier poster said, it was just "hanging out" since you installed it.

My Andair fuel pump had quite a bit in it. When I plumped the fuel lines in the cockpit, I had it leaking all over the place. It looks and smells like a mixture of light machine oil and mineral spirits.

Back