What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oops I let the smoke out

dave4754

Well Known Member
Building my RV7I have install the extra aircraft FPS plus system however when I was installing this system I caused a ground inadvertently which fried the wires in the circuit panel now I am attempting to sautter those wires back together with standard wire and soldering techniques and wondering what your opinions would be on this matter. I have talk with rich at aircraft extras and he seems to think if the soldering goes well in appropriate supplier sized use this would remedy the situation in all will be well. What are your thoughts

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apov9vtfo19vgedjX6szoCVtYnQQNg

If you are talking about those burnt traces on the board, then yes, I have repaired many a board that way.

Building my RV7I have install the extra aircraft FPS plus system however when I was installing this system I caused a ground inadvertently which fried the wires in the circuit panel now I am attempting to sautter those wires back together with standard wire and soldering techniques and wondering what your opinions would be on this matter. I have talk with rich at aircraft extras and he seems to think if the soldering goes well in appropriate supplier sized use this would remedy the situation in all will be well. What are your thoughts

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apov9vtfo19vgedjX6szoCVtYnQQNg

Should work fine if no components on the other side got fried. 20 Gauge wire should work fine for that. The traces are pretty thin so the repair will be fine with 20 gauge.
Ed

Probably safer to solder small pre-tinned pins into the solder bosses then solder pre-tinned wire onto those pins. Less heat on the board for a shorter period of time.
Art

Thanks ALL

Never expected to be front page but if it helps others why not?

I went with Arts suggestion and tinned the predetermined length of wire necessary and then pressed the tinned wire to the pin and it went rather well.

Tommorrow I will test after I have figured out how to wire my Ray Allen 205 to the AircraftExtra FPS to it. For some reason i cannot seem to get it on this one, hence the fry job.

Any wiring diagrams or schematics on this would be appreciated.

Thanks again all for the response.

little late, but here is how i repair boards. take a sharp knife and cut the end of the trace clean. take a length of wire and strip back about 1/2 inch of insulation on each end so the wire bridges the gap with the insulation stopping at the end of the trace. solder the 1/2 end of the wire to the good trace. ive done hundreds like this.

Fuses and circuit breakers are designed to protect the wiring, not the devices.

It's good practice for avionics manufacturers to have some kind of fuse inside of the device so that an internal failure does not cause a serious smoking or fire hazard.

Sometimes, I've used just a narrowed trace (PCB fuse) for this, but I mostly use a discrete fuse. That way, if an internal component fails, the fuse blows.

I had one large customer outfitting a fleet of Caravans with per-seat audio mixers that ignored the fact that my devices were built for 12V systems. They hooked them all up to 28V and poof!. My internal fuses tripped, of course. Subsequently, I decided that even if I built a device spec'd for 12V, it had to operate at much higher voltages.

in FORTRAN/WATFIV (I'm dating myself here), we had the IQ0 error. When we looked at the wallchart to decipher the error codes it was "IQ0 - Student programmer has insufficient knowledge to use this system". Sometimes smart people do stupid things. Hence fuses.

Yes the board is repairable as others have stated. Just fixed one on my boat generator that looked like yours.

Back