What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fly leds

rwarre

Well Known Member
Helping a friend install the fly leds. He bought the works kit which includes landing lights, strobes, and nav lights. We are having trouble getting the 3 landing lights in the wind tips. Are the landing lights installed on the board before or after attaching to the wingtips? The landing lights are not the flat leds, but look more like the bulb type that have long heats sinks in the back. There are 3 lights in the set.

I installed mine on the board first. I’ve done it the other way too. I’d recommend cutting away more of the hole if you can’t fit it in pre assembled.

Hi Randy

In most cases you will find it easier to attach the main Position and Strobe LED circuit board to the wing first, and then mount the landing lights to the board afterwards. It really helps if you're doing this with the wingtips on the bench and not on the plane!
The Flyleds kit can be assembled as one and then attached to the wing, but as you are finding you will need to cut away much more of the fiberglass face of the light bay to allow the lights to fit through. There's no problem in doing this as long as you still leave mounting points with the nutplates in place!

Back