What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AK-450 replacement

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
OK, my AmeriKing ELT, an AK-450, finally went TU. What's the *easiest*, *cheapest*, most "drop-in" replacement for it? I have a separate PLB, so don't feel like running GPS signals to a new ELT, but will if I absolutely have to. My biggest trade requirement is the least amount of work for mounting and wiring the damned thing up.

Any recommendations?

The simplest thing to do is probably place a “Want to Buy” add in the classifieds, and see if someone has one that they took out (working) to put in a 405…..might get a response, might not….

Last edited:
You could also look for a used ACK E-01 (121.5 mHz). They use the same remote panel-mount control as the AmeriKing, and the same antenna would be fine.

Next option would be an ACK-E-04 (121.5 + 406) so you would have to replace the antenna, supply GPS.

be cautious of log book entries. I thought that I read somewhere that it is not legal to sell or purchase a used 121.5 ELT. I think this was part of the FAA's compromise - you can continue to use the ELT, but on failure must be upgraded. Only a loose recollection.

Larry

be cautious of log book entries. I thought that I read somewhere that it is not legal to sell or purchase a used 121.5 ELT. I think this was part of the FAA's compromise - you can continue to use the ELT, but on failure must be upgraded. Only a loose recollection.

Larry

Yep, you're right. It's right there in the AD...if it fails, you have to replace it with a "serviceable FAA-approved ELT", and it is quite explicit that it excludes 450s and 451s. Darn, there goes my el cheapo option. :(

Looks like the E-04 might be the easiest option...only minor issue to work out might be the dimensions (my mount point is on one of those Van's ELT/Strobe power supply mounting brackets, so somewhat close to baggage bulkhead), but that's solvable.

Any other recommendations, just in case? I have 90 days to order and install one, as long as it's placarded...

Just upgrade to a 406 unit. I know the jury is still out on the effectiveness of elts, but when the 406 units do work they really work. If you are going to put one in, might as well put one in that has a hope of helping. You don't have to hook up the gps. They are plenty accurate without it.

As others have pointed out, the ACK may use tha same remote switch and wiring.

The ACK uses the same wiring, but it does require a different RJ11 coupler (straight through vs. crossover), the holes on the remote box are slightly different, and the mount needs to be swapped. ACK has instructions on the conversion here:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/AmeriKing-to-Ack-conversion.pdf

Thanks...I think that's what I'm going to go with. I can modify the mount to match the existing holes/platenuts in the Van's mounting plate, and either use the RJ11 adapter or just put a new plug on one end with the correct pinout.

Appreciate all the info from everyone!

GPS wires

Be aware you don't have to provide GPS data to a 406 beacon.

If you do, then the gps coordinates (last known by the beacon) are broadcast, and typically this is going to get your location down to a really small area. As in, if it is a populated area, just drive to the location and direction find on the ground

If there is no gps coordinate then the system uses doppler as the satellite flys by to get your location, and will need two passes to get the east/west resolved. Accuracy is worse of course, but still 1/4 the square miles that the old 121.5 beacons had.

On the 121.5 (when they were being monitored) the probability area was about 30 x 60 miles. On 406 (without gps), that dropped to about 15 x 30 miles.

My 406 ELT doesn't support gps input without an add-on box, which I don't have.

-Bryan --- former Civil Air Patrol search pilot

Back