What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS Throttle Cable

fehdxl

Well Known Member
We had the throttle cable wear to the point the throttle body spring couldn’t overcome the friction and allow the engine to go to full throttle; thankfully on the ground and not during a go-around. Interesting the MM describes a procedure to lube the cable but the initial, build instructions do not. Guess by that point certain things are assumed.

Anyway, just wanted to point out there’s a lube procedure and also a timing test to make sure it moves forward w the friction knob loose in a certain period of time.

Fly Safe!

Jim

On J-3 Cub I owned…. vibration caused the spiral wind of the carb heat cable jacket to wear a like pattern on the solid push-pull inner wire to the point where the cable finally locked-up...

On J-3 Cub I owned…. vibration caused the spiral wind of the carb heat cable jacket to wear a like pattern on the solid push-pull inner wire to the point where the cable finally locked-up...

I'm pretty sure the cables used on the RV-12 have a teflon inner liner so there is never any contact between the cable housing and the inner wire.

Just to follow up, replaced the cable and lubed with LPS2 before installation. All works well now.

Here’s the throttle cable lubing info from the maintenance manual.

Fly safe!

-Jim

Attachments

• 13E64B02-060F-47CC-BE77-6BFD87D65FA3.jpeg
    13E64B02-060F-47CC-BE77-6BFD87D65FA3.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 91
Back