What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Make my day

chrispratt

Well Known Member
I had just shut down the engine and was chocking my RV-8 at 52F when I noticed a small gray convertible sportscar pull up to my airplane. The driver said, "I hope I'm not being presumptuous but I love your airplane's paint scheme." He then handed me two beautiful 8x10 prints of photos he had taken some time previously of my RV -- one in landing mode (a perfect wheel landing I might add ;)) and one as I was lifting off.

I had never met this gentleman before and it was serendipity that I was even on the ramp today since I usually taxi back to my hangar. He just handed me the photos, we chatted for a couple of minutes, and away he drove.

I was speechless. The power of these RV machines to generate enthusiasm and friendship just never ceases to amaze me.

So, Grant (I'll call him that cause my memory for names is terrible) if you're listening, Thank You. You made my day. I'm looking for picture frames to display these in my hangar.

The RV world is a great community and I consider myself lucky to be a part of it. Days like today demonstrate that it's about more than airplanes, it's about people's passion for things that fly and the desire to share that passion with others. There just don't seem to be any strangers in the RV world.

Chris

total agreement with Brian

ditto.

cough up the scans, man......

your luck comes at that price :)

Remember Names

Did you ever notice that many RVers can't remember names, but almost never forget any RV they've ever seen.

Bones (the original):D

Okay Brian and Howard. Click on the link and you'll see the pics. The scans don't do them justice but you get the picture (no pun intended).

http://picasaweb.google.com/pratt.chris401/52F#

I kept studying the second shot (no flaps) trying to determine if it was a takeoff or a landing. I suspect a landing. I like to practice landings with zero, 20 and 40 degrees of flap. I usually do power-on landings but part of my practice when the pattern is empty is also to do power-off, zero flap landings in case I ever have to do it for real. The RVs come down in a hurry in a power-off condition so it's good to know how that feels, how far she'll glide and what speed feels comfortable. In my -8 about 90 mph IAS, no flaps feels about right. Try it with and without the prop at takeoff setting and you'll understand why a constant speed prop is often referred to as a good brake.

Hope you like the shots.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Great shots!! love the paint job!!! Congrats on attracting the eyes of the camera savvy public!! :cool::cool:

Back