What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutaway RV Drawing

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if Van's has ever produced a drawing of the complete RV-8 in a kind of cut away view?

I'd like to have such a drawing to frame and hang on my wall!!

My idea of true art!

Jesse Bentley

RV-8

Muskego, WI

Does anyone know if Van's has ever produced a drawing of the complete RV-8 in a kind of cut away view?

My idea of true art!

Jesse Bentley

RV-8

Muskego, WI

I know how you feel Jesse! I've wondered the same thing. They included a frame-worthy cutaway drawing of the -6 series with that kit. "Yo V, wassup with the -8?" :eek: :p

148dxzb.jpg

Hey Rick,

Just curious, what is the quote hanging just above the Blue Angels photo? I tried zooming up on it, but couldn't get it clear enough to read. Sorry about the thread-jack, but I love good aviation related quotes.

Brad

.... what is the quote hanging just above the Blue Angels photo?....Brad

For once you have tasted flight
you will walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been
and there you will long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

My idea of true art!

Jesse Bentley

RV-8

Muskego, WI

I was hoping for one of a -7A for inclusion in the (eventual, but too far in the future to really think much about right now) POH.

The artist you want is Tom Johnson. Tom is responsible for the art prints of Delmar Benjamin's Gee Bee and the Pitts Model 12, among others. Here's a heavily cropped and shrunken example:

I have the Gee Bee print framed and hanging on my office wall. The detail is incredible.

Tom is a friend of a friend. I can contact him and see if he would be interested in doing a particular RV model, or several models. The prints are not cheap. You should perhaps expect to develop an order list, which may include earnest money. With enough interest I imagine Tom would do it.

For once you have tasted flight
you will walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been
and there you will long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks Rick,

How true that statement is! Whenever I hear an airplane, I have to stop whatever I'm doing to look up and watch.

Brad

Very cool!

Dan,

That print is very cool! It's actually quite a bit more extravagant than I had in mind, but I certainly would be interested in buying a print like that of an RV-8!

I would think with all the RV's out there that there would be a pretty good market for that type of thing and he'd sell lots!

If enough people chime in, maybe we can organize an initial purchase that would be large enough for him to invest the time.

Jesse Bentley

RV-8

Muskego, WI

drawing

I took the RV-3 cut-away drawing and had it blown up to 4 feet by 5 feet (ish).
It's BEAUTIFUL!!!! I'm in also for a cut-away for anything that pops up...
Best
Brian Wallis

To get back to the ORIGINAL question. I got one of those with my first kit(the RV8 empenage). Just call Vans and Ill bet they will send ya one.
Nordo

Check Drawing 19

Drawing 19 in my pre-build plans package has a side view of much of the interior.

I'd be interested too in one of those cool color cross sections.

Ditto

Count me in for the uber cool colorized program--group buy.

Looks like it was done by someone who does anatomy books.

I've been in contact with Tom Johnson and he is interested in doing some RV cutaways.

Some of Tom's past works have been custom commissions by individual aircraft owners. Prices vary depending on aircraft complexity, the paint scheme, and other factors. These commissions are one-off fine art.

I think Tom might also consider a series of "generic" RV cutaway prints much like the Model-12 and Gee Bee examples, depending on anticipated volume. Visit my buddy Darin's site (http://www.2wings.com/) for some samples (click "Pitts 12 Cutaway Lithographs" below the home page photo).

If you're interested, speak up. Obviously there is no set price or sales channel at this time; just consider it a finger in the wind.

I've asked, and been told by Vans that they don't have a cutaway for the RV-7(A).

Price dependant, but I'd definitely be interested in a cutaway drawing of an RV-7

That Pitts 12 is really impressive. I especially liked the nice touch of the rubber chicken! Even for an RV, that is a serious art project!

Dan,

So there's maybe 10 or 12 folks interested in a cutaway of an 8 and others that would be looking for other models.

I think, based on this little thread alone, that there is a real market here for your friend Tom.

Lets get him involved in the discussion to find out what it would take to make it happen. We need to hang a price tag on it to guage real interest.

Maybe an initial purchase here would be incentive for him to do the art and I'm sure he would make a nice chunck of change on them in the future!

Jesse

RV-8

Muskego, WI

I've been in contact with Tom Johnson and he is interested in doing some RV cutaways. [snip] If you're interested, speak up. Obviously there is no set price or sales channel at this time; just consider it a finger in the wind.
I'm interested in a -7.

Thanks,
Boris

I'm interested in an 8 as long as it's a good (big) size. I think a good run of these things would keep selling themselves.

Guy

Okay, I'll put my name in the hat. Put me down for a -7, as long as it's a nice size at a reasonable price.

I'd be interested in a 7. I would think in $40.00 to $50.00 price range would work for me, although not set at that figure either.
Rick Maury

Best I know (don't hold me to anything):

Past prints have been 24" x 36", heavy stock, and frame very well.

Some one-off custom cutaways (your airplane) have been in the 4-digit range. Many were less, and an RV probably would be. Your DC-3 or personal 707? Hmmmm....

The Model 12 limited edition, signed and numbered, was $250. Sold out.

The very popular Gee Bee print currently sells @ $49. Early editions signed by Delmar were more.

A signed print of Flash, Valkarie, or Beautiful Doll would no doubt be worth a fortune someday <g>

I've directed Tom to this forum and he will probably check in with the real information. In the meantime, ya'll keep up the "me too" and RV model of interest.

Very interested in a -7 as long as the price is right...Somewhere around $50 sounds reasonable depending on the qty sold.

Count me in.

RV 7 Slider, or would it help costs if a generic without the canopy is done?

Thanks,
David

Last edited:
A signed print of Flash, Valkarie, or Beautiful Doll would no doubt be worth a fortune someday <g>

Gee, I hope so! ;)

I have a Tuttle original of the Val which is an absolutely amazing painting! I have had the wonderful opportunity to work with TWO different original artists on aviation paintings in the past couple of years, and can tell you that originals are priced by the square inch, and that a medium-sized painting can easily run multiple thousands. Worth it? Absolutely! But just to give folks a gouge....you're going to have to get quite a few committed buyers to bring posters down to a price below the flight levels....

(That said, sure, I'd love an -8 cut-away!)

Back