What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO540 fuel consumption (75%/best vs 60%/econ) power

supik

Well Known Member
I'm a bit confused with the chart provided in the IO540 ops manual:

-according to this chart fuel consumption at 75% Best Pwr Rating is approx.: 16.5 gph, but the table with Operating Conditions shows 15.0 gph?

-at 60% Econ. Pwr the fuel consumption of 12 gph seems to correspond with the Operating Conditions table.

Do I misinterpret the figures?

IO540-fuel-consumption.jpg

EDIT: My green vertical line is a little offset to the right.

Capture-Ops-Condition.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect they assume you will not run at a true best power mixture at cruise. Going a third of the way from best power to peak results is a VERY SMALL power reduction with a meaningful fuel flow reduction. They probably can't imagine anyone that would throw two gallons an hour at their engine for 5 extra horsepower and the 1 knot of speed it delivers and therefore provide the 15 GPH recommendation. Many users have a fuel flow gauge, yet have no experience in computing best power via EGT readings. I suspect the manual doesn't even tell you how many degrees ROP best power is. It is beyond most pilots and MANY don't have full EGT intstumentation.

Last edited:
My numbers

IO 540 c4b5 10:1 compression

This doesn't really apply to the 10. I have always run 21\19" lean of peak and get 8.8 gph in cruise. I put on one Sure Fly EI and got it down to 8.6 gph. This is on a Rocket.

Steve Barnes

Back