What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 6 advice needed

WardC1020

I have access to a RV 6, It’s been sitting for some time, covered in dust. My question is not about the engine. I have read someplace the 6 tip ups leak badly directly down on the avionics. In looking at it, don’t see a reason to doubt it. How would you clean the canopy and around the tip up with out scratching the canopy. I want to remove the dust layer from the canopy. If it didn’t leak I would use a hose and soft water pressure and just rinse the layers of dust off. Thank you. Ward Combs.

If you're that concerned, put a strip of electrical or painter's tape over the gaps and hose it off.

If you don't want to do that, just get a spray bottle of water with a little soap and several soft, clean rags. Wet things, then wipe off the layer of dust, wet it again, and use another cloth to wipe off the remnants of the dust, then repeat again with a plexiglas cleaner and another clean cloth.

electrical tape

If you are cruising around all the RV's at OSH you can always recognize mine. It is the tip up with the black electrical tape in front of the windshield.

Steve

You can clean the dust off with a 1/2 bucket of water and a terry cloth. Wipe with a very wet terry cloth folding after each pass and rinse the towel often. Dry with a well drained (twisted) towel....... Terry cloth (by design) will lift and hold the dirt within the cloth and reduce the chance of scratching the plexi by dragging the trapped dirt back over the surface.

Polish with Plexus plastic cleaner (purchase at any motorcycle dealer) Use a cotton T shirt to buff to a clear finish.

I use this method to wash my 6A in the hangar using only 1 1/2 gallons of water. Very easy and very quick.

With caked on dust/grime on plexi, the best approach is a long soak with water / soap. You want the dust to be fully saturated before you start hitting it with a towel or sponge, so that it will lift off easier and the water / soap creating a lubricant between the dust and plexi.

Larry

With caked on dust/grime on plexi, the best approach is a long soak with water / soap.

Larry

Agree. The long soak may be accomplished by draping towels saturated with soapy water over the canopy. After the soak, lift off the towels, and follow the advice in post #4.

Back