What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

finally got the ultimate squawk code??.

turbo

Well Known Member
after 40 years of flying. thank you palm beach approach. i never ever got a single digit, barely ever got two digits, and so on. got a lot of 6's in my 6. so thats it, got the pic. let the fun begin. guess who's??..:D
P1020341.jpg

Received a 6666 from Seattle Center on my first test flight after an engine out experience. Just what I needed to settle my already frayed nerves.:eek:

mike, that was a nice roll on 6's there. good carma i must say. any thread on the engine out?

Got 0666 on my way to Van's homecoming over the mountains. I almost asked for a change of code.

40 years it's a lot of flying!

That's a cool number Turbo if they gave it to you they mean it! :D

I had an interesting number once.I also used ident instead of PTT :)

Funny request

I once had an aircraft with mechanical plungers that selected the code and the middle two digits were stuck...but of course I didn't notice until airborne:roll eyes:

ME: "Sealord, crossing warning area boundary, request a squawk that has 56 as the middle two digits"

Sealord: "Uhhh, ok sir, standby"

Carb Ice?

mike, that was a nice roll on 6's there. good carma i must say. any thread on the engine out?

Probably the best possible position for an engine stoppage. I was in the pattern, on crosswind, pulled back the power to slow and descend a bit, turned downwind, put power back in, got nothing. I pumped the throttle a couple of times, gave up, flew the airplane, turned base to final with plenty of altitude, landed. I restarted the engine on the ground and taxied to my mechanic buddy and the trouble shooting began. We never did figure it out for sure but we changed out the mechanical fuel pump. I flew it around the airport a couple of times, tried to simulate the conditions when it failed and had no problems. I headed back to my work location, which involved crossing the Cascade mountains, called Seattle Center for flight following and received the 6666. I thought about explaining my situation and getting a new code but I figured it would make for a better story by just sucking it up and getting on with the adventure.

there's some real gems out there.....

I once had an aircraft with mechanical plungers that selected the code and the middle two digits were stuck...but of course I didn't notice until airborne:roll eyes:
ME: "Sealord, crossing warning area boundary, request a squawk that has 56 as the middle two digits"
Sealord: "Uhhh, ok sir, standby"

reminds me of a guy with a frozen brake ( inop) who asked for taxi instructions, ' with all right turns please'. extra marks for creative thinkin'.

I had a SFRA controller give me a sqwak code with a "9" in it. (My instructor at the time heard it and verified the proposed code.) Of course that's not possible. We requested an alternate code... without a "9" in it!

VFR or IFR? Short flight or local?

a lot of facilities have a set "internal" codebank that they use for "local" flights not transitioning the NAS/approach control boundaries. 00 may be one of theirs. At my first facility it was 45xx for VFR a/c, currently I believe it's 42xx (VFR), and 02xx for IFR

I read this thread the other day, then was given this squawk yesterday. Top middle of the screen.

Back