What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aera 795/796 Gets Attitude

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are pleased to announce that the free V4.40 software upgrade available now for the Aera 795/796 includes support for displaying attitude information provided over either a hardwire or Bluetooth link to the GDL 39 3D ADS-B traffic and weather receiver.

The already existing 3D Vision page will automatically begin showing attitude information, complete with a slip/skid ball, when it is connected to a GDL 39 3D with AHRS capability.

Another new feature provided with this software release is the ability to use "rubber band" editing of the flight plan on the map or sectional pages.

A user can now simply touch and drag a flight plan segment over a waypoint to add that waypoint to the flight plan.

When doing an airspace or weather diversion, you can even drag the flight plan line to a point where no waypoint exists, and the Aera will allow you to quickly create a new user waypoint at that point and insert it into the flight plan.

Customers can download this software now from the Garmin website using the WebUpdater or Garmin Express programs.

Thanks,
Steve

5003.jpg

Landscape

Same question as Joe, how does it look in landscape mode? I dont think I have ever tried split screen.

796 WITH ATTITUDE

Hello Steve

Will this works like a Dynon D1 and be used as an attitude back up??

It will be nice if it does..

Also, can the 796 be mounted using a Ram Mount?

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Last edited:
796 vs D1

Brian

Thanks for the reply but you missed the meaning of the question well at least partly..

Good to know the 796 can used a Ram Mount.

What I meant by '' work like a D1'' was can it be used to replace a D1 as an attitude back up( with the GDL-39 D ) as per the post from G3X Expert above in case my main EFIS ( Skyview ) goes TU when flying IFR?

Cheers

Bruno

Any chance this will work with our beloved 696?

If yes, this would probably push me over the edge to the GDL versus the XM weather we have now.

Brian

Thanks for the reply but you missed the meaning of the question well at least partly..

Good to know the 796 can used a Ram Mount.

What I meant by '' work like a D1'' was can it be used to replace a D1 as an attitude back up( with the GDL-39 D ) as per the post from G3X Expert above in case my main EFIS ( Skyview ) goes TU when flying IFR?

Cheers

Bruno

Sorry I misread that!

The combo is a real AHRS and has similar GPS altitude and groundspeed display.

It trumps the D1 since it is also a moving map GPS with charts, plates, traffic, terrain and weather!

Last edited:
Any chance this will work with our beloved 696? If yes, this would probably push me over the edge to the GDL versus the XM weather we have now.

Hello Bill,

As you likely know, we have great GDL 39 traffic and weather support for the 695/696, but there is no support to use the attitude data from the GDL 39 3D.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Can the unit display the attitude information and an approach plate (in lieu of the map page) at the same time?

Steve,

Can the unit display the attitude information and an approach plate (in lieu of the map page) at the same time?

Hello Will,

The choices for the 3D Vision page are full screen synthetic vision with attitude and speed/altitude tapes, or a split screen showing this with the moving map.

You would need to use a different page to show approach plates.

Thanks,
Steve

The "rubberband" feature for changing flight plans on the fly (so to speak) looks like a very useful addition. As a side note, from the map page you need to go to the submenu (touch the three-bar button) to access the edit option.

Time for the 296 to go - Aera 796 as replacement?

Steve, maybe you and the others posting on this thread can answer a few questions. My trusty old 296 has served well for 8 years, but recently has had a few occasions where it simply went blank and powered off. One time I could not get it to boot back up; a couple other times I was able to do so, but only after much button pushing and manipulation, and it was unclear what actually caused it to power back up.

Since its my primary navigation device, and considering the clunky user interface, worn out rocker pad for input/selection, etc., I'm ready to retire it to backup duty in the flight bag, behind my primary backup (WingX on ipad2). I'd like to replace it with a dedicated aviation device, and so I am looking at the Aera 796. In reading various online material from Garmin's website, retailers, these forums, etc., I think I have a good idea of the capabilities and options.

So, a few questions:

1. I use a simple Ram mount on the panel for my 296. The mounting options for the Aera796 aren't clear to me; Ram sells a cheap, ball end mount plate with 4 screw holes for the 796 but its hard to see how that mounts to the 796, in photos I see no indication of mounting screw holes or the like. I'd prefer to just use the 796 with the same Ram mount I have, changing only the component that actually holds the 796. Does the Ram part do that?

2. I see a cable available for the 796 with bare wire ends, and would plan to wire this in so I can use ship's power and also feed a GPS output signal to my Trutrak ADI Pilot II autopilot, as I have with the 296. I'm assuming this should be an easy interface with the 796?

3. I've never had real time weather capability. I don't care for XM radio, so I am thinking the GDL 39 or GDL 393D option, to give inflight weather and ADS-B reception. This can be added later, and the 796 runs fine without it in the meantime, correct? And what is the weather data that one gets from this - all the usual NEXRAD etc. imaging? Is this function currently operational on the FAA's end or is it "coming soon..."?

4. Last, how does the Aera 796 compare to the GPSMap696 - what is the latter item's role in the product line? Seems as though the Aera is the better option at this point, assuming that the GPSmap line is at the end of the product life cycle (or nearly so) and the Aera is more on the front end of that cycle.

Sorry for the long post, but with my 296 heading south I need a crash course in current GPS options - it summer here in the Pacific NW and I need to get out and fly! :)

Ball plate

I went from a 296 to a 796 when they first came out. I use the same Ram ball mount plate for my 796. The only problem is the 796 is a much larger unit and covers up more of my panel than I would like. I could probably mount it off to the side but I have gotten use to it.
I am very happy with my GDL 39 weather and traffic and I would have gone with the GDL 39D had it been available at the time and may not have needed the ADI I purchased.

Steve,

Are there any plans to add the sensors that provide the ?3D? feature to the remote mounted GDL 39R in the future? I really like remote mounted hardware?

Aera 796 Questions

So, a few questions:

1. I use a simple Ram mount on the panel for my 296. The mounting options for the Aera796 aren't clear to me; Ram sells a cheap, ball end mount plate with 4 screw holes for the 796 but its hard to see how that mounts to the 796, in photos I see no indication of mounting screw holes or the like. I'd prefer to just use the 796 with the same Ram mount I have, changing only the component that actually holds the 796. Does the Ram part do that?
John, these are great questions and thanks for considering the 796 as a replacement for your 296.

The Aera 796 is provided with a yoke mount that attaches to the aviation mount using the 4 supplied nuts/screws. The yoke mount also comes with one of those ball end mount plates you refer to which can either be attached to the aviation mount or the instrument panel. This combination can be used either for yoke or instrument panel mounting.

If you look at pages 177-180 of the Pilot Guide, it should clear up some of the confusion about this mount.

2. I see a cable available for the 796 with bare wire ends, and would plan to wire this in so I can use ship's power and also feed a GPS output signal to my Trutrak ADI Pilot II autopilot, as I have with the 296. I'm assuming this should be an easy interface with the 796?

Yes, a bare wire mount is available for the Aera 796 that allows you to wire the unit to aircraft power and connect one or both of the RS-232 interfaces to external devices like an autopilot. See pages 184-185 of the Pilot Guide.

3. I've never had real time weather capability. I don't care for XM radio, so I am thinking the GDL 39 or GDL 393D option, to give inflight weather and ADS-B reception. This can be added later, and the 796 runs fine without it in the meantime, correct? And what is the weather data that one gets from this - all the usual NEXRAD etc. imaging? Is this function currently operational on the FAA's end or is it "coming soon..."?

Yes, the Aera 796 runs fine without any attached devices that receive traffic and/or weather, so you can add that capability at any time. Full ADS-B ground station support is in place in the U.S., and you can receive free traffic and weather in most places today.

Page 103 of the Aera 796 Pilot Guide provides a list of FIS-B weather products that are available when using the 795/796 with a GDL 39 or GDL 39 3D.

The GXM 42 SXM weather/radio receiver is sold separately for use with the Aera 796. If you never plan to use a SXM subscription, you could also consider purchasing the Aera 795 which works just as well as the 796 with the GDL 39, but cannot interface to the GXM 42.

4. Last, how does the Aera 796 compare to the GPSMap696 - what is the latter item's role in the product line? Seems as though the Aera is the better option at this point, assuming that the GPSmap line is at the end of the product life cycle (or nearly so) and the Aera is more on the front end of that cycle.

Both the 696 and 796 use bright, sunlight readable 800 x 480 displays, have options for XM/SXM weather, work with the GDL 39, and have a serial port for driving your autopilot. In addition, the 796 is a newer product, provides a second serial port, a Bluetooth interface usable with the GDL 39/39 3D, support for sectional charts, and the 3D vision page mentioned above which also works with the GDL 39 3D.

Either unit is a good choice, and mostly comes down to whether you prefer buttons and knobs, or a touch screen user interface.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Are there any plans to add the sensors that provide the ?3D? feature to the remote mounted GDL 39R in the future? I really like remote mounted hardware?

Hello Will,

We don't currently have any plans to offer a 3D version of the GDL39R, but certainly haven't ruled out the possibility.

Don't forget that the GDL39 3D comes with a snap in mount and can also be remote mounted out-of-sight and hardwired into your aircraft with a bare wire cable.

Thanks,
Steve

Match baud rates with ADI II

John
I replaced the 496 with the 796 and the bare wire cable and also drive the ADI II, when you complete the change make sure to match up the baud rate between the 796 and the ADI II. Also if you plan to add and hard wire a GDL39 the 796 is better as it has 2 serial ports allowing one dedicated to the GDL39 and one to drive the A/P etc.

We don't currently have any plans to offer a 3D version of the GDL39R, but certainly haven't ruled out the possibility.

For those seeking a permanent installation and not interested in portability this would be a more attractive option, given my understanding that the GDL39R hardware incorporates more desirable Dsub/BNC connectors into its design…

Last edited:
GDL39 3D

Installed and flew with the GDL39 3D this weekend and it worked like a champ with the 796 and the iPad. The synthetic vision mode worked well and the alignment was simple. This is a great combination for those of us not yet ready to "Brantel" our panel:)
Couple of things on my wish list for the 796:
1. Play music from the SD card
2. Export the flight log to the SD card in the Flightbook format

While we are talking about Aeras....

I have a 510. Why does it not have a direct to function in the nearest list? If it does I'd be interested to hear how it works.

Scenario: Flying along and the engine starts to run rough. I go to home and then Nearest. It shows me a list of nearest airports. When I click on that airport it shows me all the info I need but doesn't give me an option for Direct-To.

Hello Sid,

The Direct-To function on the aera 5xx products is often combined with the Menu button. You can see this as a combination "Menu / -D->" label on the button. Therefore, all you need to do to navigate directly to an airport from the Nearest page is press and hold the Menu button to initiate direct-to navigation. For further information, please see section 2.6 of the aera 5xx pilot's guide.

- Matt

Installed and flew with the GDL39 3D this weekend and it worked like a champ with the 796 and the iPad. The synthetic vision mode worked well and the alignment was simple. This is a great combination for those of us not yet ready to "Brantel" our panel:)
Couple of things on my wish list for the 796:
1. Play music from the SD card
2. Export the flight log to the SD card in the Flightbook format

Dave,

Do you have to realign your setup at each flight or does it remember the prior alignment?

I agree that it would be nice if the 796 and or the G3X brought back the MP3 player like some of the other Aera models.

Alignment

Brantel
Not sure if you have to redo the alignment, in my case I just did it the one time however my mounting footplate is attached to the dash so it does not move.

Garmin Bare Wire mount for 796

Hello:

Upgrading to a 796 from a 496, using the 796 Bare Wire mount. The hookups on the 796 are similar to the 496, however there are 9 wires instead of 7 as on the 496. Can anyone expand on the specifics of the hookup differences between the two? I have reviewed the wiring information in both user guides. The audio common, and left and right are different, and I am not sure about the alarm wire.
A listing of all hookups with some additional function information would be helpful. This installation will integrate with a TruTrak Digitak autopilot and a Garmin SL-30.

Can the 796 supply GPS data to a 330 transponder with the squitter upgrade to enable full ADS-B operation (at least until 2020 when a certified GPS is required)?

Stan

Hello:

Upgrading to a 796 from a 496, using the 796 Bare Wire mount. The hookups on the 796 are similar to the 496, however there are 9 wires instead of 7 as on the 496. Can anyone expand on the specifics of the hookup differences between the two? I have reviewed the wiring information in both user guides. The audio common, and left and right are different, and I am not sure about the alarm wire.
A listing of all hookups with some additional function information would be helpful. This installation will integrate with a TruTrak Digitak autopilot and a Garmin SL-30.

Hello John,

On of the big differences between the 496 and the 796 is that the 796 provides 2 serial ports instead of 1.

Since you desire to connect an autopilot and a SL 30, you could connect the autopilot to serial port 1 and configure it for "NMEA" and connect the SL 30 to serial port 2 and configure it for "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out".

Please call or email us if you have additional installation questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Can the 796 supply GPS data to a 330 transponder with the squitter upgrade to enable full ADS-B operation (at least until 2020 when a certified GPS is required)?

Stan

The 330ES will not accept GPS data from a portable (the Trig units will).

Gdl-39-3D External antenna

Hello everyone

I just bit the bullet and bought a Garmin 796 with the GDL 39-3D module and as an RV-4 owner,I'm as usual very space limited .

So I'm planning on installing the GDL-39 3D in the tail of the aircraft in the same location where I installed my Dynon Skyview Adhrs..

To do so I will need a remote antenna and the require cable to hook it up.

So do you guys have any suggestions on which one to use instead of the little one that comes with the unit?

There was someone here selling nice antennas a short time ago but I can't find the link to his web site....

Thank you

Bruno
[email protected]

ADS-B

Hi Brian

I saw that in the manual but what I'm looking for is a source for an ADS-B antenna(Blade type) and the require cable (SMA connector) to hook it up.

There is an advertiser here on VAF that sell them but i can't find him

Any idea who it might be?

BTW congrats on your '' new you '' that is quite an achivement

Cheers

Bruno
[email protected]
---------------------------------------------------

Update: Found it

http://www.deltapopaviation.com/Home.html

Last edited:
Back