What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B question of the day

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Anyone with a ADS-B. Where did you mount your UAT antenna? And does it seem to receive well there?
Have my TXP blade antenna on the belly right near fuel vent. Bent whip Com antenna's on both sides behind gear. ELT on back deck and GPS on top under cowl. I'd like to put it by other fuel vent. Only receiving FIS-B at this time but hope to be able to receive TIS-B before 2020.

I mounted my Delta Pop blade antenna under the right wing, near the inner access panel. This location put it the recommended five feet from my transponder antenna, which I had placed slightly left of the rear passenger seat in my -8.

Don

ADS-B

Tom
I mounted my UAT antenna on my 7a on the belly about 20" behind the rear
Baggage bulkhead. All other antennas are in about the same location of where
Yours are. I am using the Navworks ADS-B system and it works great.
It displays traffic & weather on both EFIS screens, Garmin 496 and iPad.
Don

I have mine mounted in the cockpit, on top of the gear tower with Velcro. Works great but maybe you were thinking something more sophisticated.:rolleyes:

Since my ADSB box is mounted in the rear fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead, my antennae are back there too.

GPS puck is on top. Integrated with the flange of the most rearward hoop shaped bulkhead. Its the bulkhead with the static piping on it.

DeltaPop UAT antenna is on the bottom, close to centerline. It's bolts are integrated with the first hoop bulkhead behind the baggage compartment bulkhead. Right next to the rear end of the bottom longeron that holds the pitch servo

I have two blade antenna that are mounted under the wing root fairing. My XTR antenna is under the belly right in the center and close to the FW. This works really great as I get ADSB ground stations even on the ground.

Since my ADSB box is mounted in the rear fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead, my antennae are back there too.

GPS puck is on top. Integrated with the flange of the most rearward hoop shaped bulkhead. Its the bulkhead with the static piping on it.

DeltaPop UAT antenna is on the bottom, close to centerline. It's bolts are integrated with the first hoop bulkhead behind the baggage compartment bulkhead. Right next to the rear end of the bottom longeron that holds the pitch servo

I did the same as Bill in my RV-10

Bob

Think we have a plan.

I think I'm going to go with what Don and Bob did with their antennas. My install instructions strongly suggests at least 6 feet from the TXP antenna and 2 feet from any Comm antennas. I know I've seen some that are a lot closer together and work fine but I'll try my best to keep close to the guidelines. I'll put it a couple feet behind the rear baggage bulkhead centered on the bottom. I can go a max of 21 feet from the unit if I use RG 400 but it's only about 12 feet. I want to keep the unit behind the panel because it's a WiFi type and I plan to mount a I-pad right below it. It's a Freeflight Xplorer. Again I thank you fine gentleman.:)
Wish I had asked this question before I drilled those holes! :eek:

Back