What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Excess Hardware

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Ok, I'm getting close to the end of the build, and I have an alarming amount of hardware left in my bins.

I'm very shure I haven't left a lot of fastners off, but I don't have a clue where those big bolts with the castle nuts go! I have some things left, like attaching seat belts and such and four more smaller bolts through the main spar, but there's no way I'm going to use some of this stuff.

Is this normal? This picture is only the tip of the iceberg. Extra rivets and screws and makes sense, but wow, I have a bunch!

161dfgx.jpg

The AN5 bolts and castle nuts look like extra engine mount fasteners. I believe the large diameter -4 washers are the ones that get used under the head of the bolts that fasten the fuel tank to fuselage brackets together.

Skylor

Jesse,
As I was finishing my -8 in 2007, I too had quite a few AN4 bolts left over and felt that it was too many. Like you, I discovered many were for the seat belts which I hadn't yet installed. Even after accounting for those bolts, I still had a few too many left over. I decided to go over each sheet of the plans very thoroughly. Boy, I'm glad I did! I discovered that at the bottom of the rear spar of the vertical stab where it attaches to the rear bulkhead, I had put in three AN3 instead of the AN4s called out in the plans. So my advice is to spend a couple of days and pour over each sheet like your life depends on it...because it does!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE 2007, 830 hours

Ok, I'm getting close to the end of the build, and I have an alarming amount of hardware left in mybins.

I'm very shure I haven't left a lot of fastners off, but I don't have a clue where those big bolts with the castle nuts go! I have some things left, like attaching seat belts and such and four more smaller bolts through the main spar, but there's no way I'm going to use some of this stuff.

Is this normal? This picture is only the tip of the iceberg. Extra rivets and screws and makes sense, but wow, I have a bunch!

161dfgx.jpg

After you're done weighing the plane just put that stuff in a bag and RTV in the proper place to correct your cg.

Extra hardware

I have been flying for 5 years and I'm still looking for where the extra hardware goes. I haven't fell out of the sky....so far so good. Hope to see you at the flyin breakfasts this summer.

Extra Parts

Remember all of those old Three Stooges comedy shorts where they were mechanics, working on cars and when they had finished the engine there was a pile of extra parts on the garage floor and they simply shoveled all of it into the engine compartment? Same with the plane.
Seriously, you will have extra parts left over when you end your build. Remember that in some cases Van's is giving you part bags and some aluminum pieces for both models A and tail dragger and they do not always use the same fasteners or aluminum. Therefore, you have spare parts for your next plane.

Back