What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South Africa: Coast to Coast

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi RVators,

* 4 Days,
* 2500 Miles,
* 15 Hours of Breathtaking Flying this Beautiful Country's Coastline,
* Weather CAVOK all the way, blue skies 90% of the time
* Meeting some Fantastic People, and
* Doing it in your homebuilt plane without a single glitch?Priceless!

I am busy sorting the pictures and stories and will post them later here below:
route_map.jpg

Groete
Rudi

DAY 1

Hi RVators,

Having finished building my RV, flying it around the cabbage patch for about 60 hours to proof it is safe and a worthy travel machine, it was time for it to stretch her legs?a long trip, 2500 miles along our Beautiful South African Coastline. Initially I was going to do it with the company of 2 other aircraft Cirrus SR22?s, but they decided not to join, so it was me, my wife and my RV?

Day 1:
Route WEST: Springs, Klerksdorp, Kuruman, Upington [FAUPl] to refuel, along the Orange river, West coast Alexander Bay, Down SOUTH to KleinZee[FAKZ].
day1_map.jpg

The initial plan was to do a clock wise route, but due to anticipated bad weather along the eastern coast, I changed it the other way around, West coast first.

Getting ready to leave at sunrise, Bags and Jerry Fuel can handy. Why the Jerry can??? Cause I run my right tank on Mogas and most airports don?t serve Mogas.
day1_00.jpg

Me and my wife ready and at the start of our adventure!
day1_01.jpg

The predicted weather was good with only one single rain cloud close to our departure point over Vereniging, but not in our path. It was a beautiful sight.
day1_02.jpg

There are some beautiful mountain formations on the route to our first stop Upington
day1_03.jpg

Refueling with a Regional Jet in the background
day1_04.jpg

A pretty picture at Upington with the Blue African Sky begging us to take flight again.
day1_05.jpg

From Upington, we picked up the Orange River, we plan to fly it all along it, the border of South Africa to the Western most point. . This area is quite barren, semi dessert, to full dessert as you fly along the river to the west coast. First on the Orange River agenda was the Augrabies Waterfalls.
day1_06.jpg

day1_07.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 1 continue...

day1_08.jpg

day1_09.jpg

In the Desert the Orange River gives life, fantastic lush green fields every now and then.
day1_10.jpg

day1_11.jpg

day1_12.jpg

The landscape is quite dramatic, almost the ?grand canyon? of South Africa, the mountain formations very contrasting in the barren desert.
day1_13.jpg

day1_14.jpg

day1_15.jpg

day1_16.jpg

day1_17.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 1 continue...

We reached the coast at Alexander bay and turned south along the ?Skeleton Coast?. This area is rich in diamonds and you see diamond mining all along the coast, even in the water as these diamond fishing boats prove.
day1_18.jpg

A Shipwreck along this coastline proves it name.
day1_19.jpg

day1_20.jpg

Our first overnight destination was Kleinzee, a diamond mining town. Lucky our wonderful host Rodney organized all the authorizations and clearances for us to land and go into this very strictly controlled Diamond town. Public are not welcome. Rodney was fantastic and assisted us in every way, going out of his way to help us. Thanx Rondey!
day1_21.jpg

The best picture of the day is the one below, larger for your convenience.
day1_best.jpg

The fist day saw us covering almost a 1,000 miles and our ?trip time? i.e. engine running time was 5H45.

?Day 2 to continue soon!

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
WOW!

...is about all I can say. Thanks so much Rudi, for your beautiful photos of a place very few of us in the U.S. know anything about. I'd love to see your country first-hand some day!

Rudi,

Great photos. I only wish I had an RV when I visited in 2005. I saw a lot of the country by auto, but it would be truly spectacular by air. Maybe next visit.... (And the geology is fantastic as well.) If/when you get over Lesotho, I would love to see a few photos of that from the air.

greg

DAY 2

Hi Guys, thanks for your kind comments, below is the day 2 photos and story,

Day 2:
Route South to Capetown: KleinZee all along the West Coast non stop to Cape town Stellenbosh. The route is +/- 360 Miles and took us just more than 2 Hours.
day2_map.jpg

We left just after sunrise, due to high predicted winds at our destination we wanted to ensure we get in early. This route is scattered with plenty of pretty light houses, and long deserted beaches.
day2_01.jpg

day2_02.jpg

We saw some Whales and Dolphins but the photographs did not come out to show you, the camera got confused with focusing on the sea ;-(

Then we saw it Cape town and the famous Table Mountain in the distant. It had its traditional table cloth of cloud just hanging over it. What a world famous sight!
day2_03.jpg

day2_04.jpg

day2_05.jpg

Over Blouberg strand I turned inland not to run into Cape Town International Airport?s airspace.
day2_07.jpg

We flew inland over Fisantekraal an old military airfield I believe.
day2_08.jpg

DAY 2 continue...

Then south to Stellenbosh. This area is picturesque, with mountains and green valleys, lot of wine farms, and wine routes.
day2_09.jpg

day2_10.jpg

Stellenbosh airfield is the prettiest airfield I have ever seen, it is right next to beautiful mountains.
day2_11.jpg

Finals for Stellenbosh, you want to take in the view but need to concentrate on finals ;-)
day2_12.jpg

day2_13.jpg

Refueling RV ZULU 7, standing proud at Stellenbosh.
day2_14.jpg

Some pictures of this pretty airfield
day2_15.jpg

day2_16.jpg

The beach just south of Stellenbosh ?Strand?
day2_17.jpg

My Fantastic host, Paul standing next to RV Zulu 7. He is a wonderful helpful person. Thanx Paul!
day2_18.jpg

DAY 2 Continue ...

The best picture of the day is the one below, larger for your convenience. Table Mountain through the side rear of my aircraft. Experimental sign reflecting in the window, which depicts this flying best
day2_best.jpg

?day 3 to continue soon!

Regards
Rudi

What a beautiful country! You have everything there! How cold is the water there in the summer (now I guess)? Thanks again!

Rudi, Rudi, Rudi ...

Awesome trip with stunning visuals.

Inspirational to a builder still bucking rivets ... I mean ... popping rivets. RV-12 slip of the tongue ... :rolleyes: ;) :)

Fantastic.

These beautiful pictures bring back memories of when I worked in Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State and then Cape Town. Beautiful scenery all the way!
Looking forward to the rest of the trip.:)

Day 3

Hi Guys, thanks for your kind comments, yes it was a Fantastic Experience?Below is day 3 photos and story,

Day 3:
Route South out of Stellenbosh until the coast then East all along the coast non stop to Port Alfred. The route is +/- 550 Miles and took us just more than 3 Hours.
day3_map.jpg

Once again we left just after sunrise. The Weather Office said we would encounter broken cloud with a 2,000 ft ceiling initially making VFR along the cost flying possible. It would be impossible to go VFR inland initially in any case since the clouds was pushing up against the mountains. The Weather Office also said it would be clearing within the first 50 miles. The take off sight out of Stellenbosh was awesome. As soon as we were airborne the sun reflected between the see, cloud ceiling against the mountains. Spectacular! Just a pity my cheap camera could not capture the full glory.
day3_01.jpg

day3_02.jpg

We turned the corner going east and the clouds started breaking up. Mountains, Beaches and Valleys WOW! We flew over an area called Nature's Valley, ever wonder why?
day3_03.jpg

day3_04.jpg

day3_05.jpg

These parts of the coast have lots of towns and holiday resorts scattered along it for our entire day 3 trip.
day3_06.jpg

day3_07.jpg

day3_11.jpg

I think this is the ?Van Staden?s? bridge. People use it to bungee jump off, deep into the valley, or at least people use to 10 years ago when I was here by car.
day3_08.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 3 continue ...

Some more scenery along the coast
day3_09.jpg

day3_10.jpg

day3_12.jpg

day3_13.jpg

day3_14.jpg

Knysna and the Knysna lagoon. The Knysna Heads protect the lagoon, and many skippers have miss judged their entry into the lagoon, so apparently many shipwrecks lie beneath the mouth.
day3_15.jpg

day3_16.jpg

St Francis airfield, a place I will be visiting soon again.
day3_17.jpg

We arrived at our destination, Port Alfred, safe and sound. We paid a visit to their wonderful beach
day3_18.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 3 Continue...

Our hosts were Fantastic, going out of their way to make it enjoyable. Thank you Dirk, Mariaan and their son. We will be definitely visiting you again.
day3_19.jpg

day3_20.jpg

The best picture of the day is the also the first picture we took, larger for your convenience.
day3_best.jpg

?day 4 to continue soon, the Wild Coast!

Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
What a beautiful country! You have everything there! How cold is the water there in the summer (now I guess)? Thanks again!

Hi TSwezey,
The Western side we have tha Atlantic Ocean which is COLD, hence few people on the beach on day 2. In comparision the Easter side we have the Indian Ocean which is tropical and warm as you go up, hence more people on the beach.
Regards
Rudi

Great Pics Rudi. Looks like you had an enjoyable trip. Ready to do it again?

Hi Bearcat,
Yip it was fantastic. I will do it again, but not the whole trip, well maybe with a flying buddy next time 2 airplanes :D. I know now where all the nice places are, so in future I will only fly portions of it and stay over longer in one place. And have more of a holiday than a full packed flying expedition.
Regards
Rudi

Hi Bearcat,
Yip it was fantastic. I will do it again, but not the whole trip, well maybe with a flying buddy next time 2 airplanes :D. I know now where all the nice places are, so in future I will only fly portions of it and stay over longer in one place. And have more of a holiday than a full packed flying expedition.
Regards
Rudi

This is simply the best trip writeup I have ever seen. Great job Rudi.

Great Job!

Great Job, Rudi!!
If someone had told me Rudi Greyling was going on a trip around South Africa in his RV-7, I would have anticipated fantastic photographs. And that's what we got!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your photos and descriptions with us.

Beautiful country, Beautiful scenery, Beautiful airplane...and might I add...Beautiful Wife! What more could you need in life, Rudi? :D
Best Regards,
Don Hull

Very Nice

Awesome trip write-up.
Thanks for taking the time to post it and add your route.

Looked like alot of fun and great adventure.

What were they doing with those boats with the rope looking loops around the boats?
You mentioned diamond mining. Were they dredging?

Anyway, great job and thanks for sharing.

DAY 4

Hi Guys, below is final day 4 photos and story,

Day 4:
Route Port Alfred all along the Wild Coast to Margate, then Inland back to Home Johanneburg Springs. The route is +/- 620 Miles and took us just less than 4 Hours.
day4_map.jpg

Once again we left just after sunrise. The Weather Office said the weather would be good in the morning, but deteriorating in the afternoon and staying like that for 2 days. We wanted to fly all the way to the north coast, but predicted weather and not knowing 100% for sure if we will find accommodation further north, we decided to cut the trip a little short. I will always be able to fly the north coast on my Next big trip, cause it is relatively close to home.

We expected some thin broken cloud with 2,000 ft ceiling on the first part, clearing very shortly. I liked this hole in the sky with striped clouds above.
day4_01.jpg

The are we will be flying is called the Wild Coast, due to it?s unspoiled pristine condition. There are very little settlements along this pretty coast line.
day4_02.jpg

day4_03.jpg

day4_04.jpg

day4_05.jpg

There are a couple of unique attractions along this coastline. The first is ?The hole in the wall? a rock formation just off the beach with a big hole where the sea crashes through.
day4_06.jpg

day4_07.jpg

day4_08.jpg

day4_09.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 4 Continue...

The second is a runway that ends on a cliff into a narrow valley with a river running into the sea.
day4_10.jpg

day4_11.jpg

day4_12.jpg

Also unique are 2 waterfalls directly into the sea, apparently there are only a few places in the world where a waterfall goes straight into the sea. Here we are lucky to have 2 of them in close proximity. The First one:
day4_13.jpg

day4_14.jpg

The Second one:
day4_15.jpg

day4_16.jpg

On the northern border of the wild coast is a popular tourist attraction, the Wild Coast Sun. From here on north you can start to see normal civilization again with tradition buildings and roads.
day4_17.jpg

The arch bridge leading to the Wild Coast Sun. There are rumors of dare devil pilots flying underneath this bridge.
day4_18.jpg

Last edited:
Day 4 Continue...

At Margate we started routing back inland going home. Kwazulu Natal is lush green, and the rivers brown with all the rain washing down into the rivers.
day4_19.jpg

day4_20.jpg

day4_21.jpg

day4_22.jpg

The last picture of the day, me and my wife, just before our final landing home?Does it look like we enjoyed it???
day4_23.jpg

The Best picture of day 4 must be ?The hole in the wall? larger for your convenience.
day4_best.jpg

The End.
Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Diamond Boats

<SNIP>
What were they doing with those boats with the rope looking loops around the boats? You mentioned diamond mining. Were they dredging? <SNIP>

I am not an expert but I believe they send divers down, with big vacuum pipes, sucking in the sea bed sand, then filtering for the diamonds. Those divers work in bad conditions for hours at a time, talk about a bad job...everything for those little shiny stones.

Wonderful!

Beautiful country and wonderful adventure! I enjoyed all these photos as I did on your previous videos.

Thank you for sharing with all of us!

Incredible adventure Rudi - thanks for sharing the entire trip!

Kinda makes all those years of building worthwhile, doesn't it?! ;)

Paul

Yes it is worth it

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your kind comments!
And Yes it makes all that time building really worthwile.
I hope this serve as inspiration to current builders, stick it out, you will have an awesome machine.

Regards
Rudi

Back