What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque wrench seemingly doesn’t work

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I’ve secured a bolt to a clamp so it doesn’t turn and when I practice using my torque wrench I never seem to feel the click.

Not sure if I’m doing it wrong or my wrench is bad.

Torque wrench

I’ve secured a bolt to a clamp so it doesn’t turn and when I practice using my torque wrench I never seem to feel the click.

Not sure if I’m doing it wrong or my wrench is bad.

Post the brand. At our low settings it's not a click. More of a bump.

Just me

My Harbor Freight Super high quality torque wrench doesn't always click at 25 in lbs, even thou it is well within the range of the wench.(pun intended)

I broke off an AN-3 bolt the first time I realized this. So if it gets tight and doesn't fell like it is clicking, I have to be careful to not over torque. Sometimes just resetting the torque on the wrench brings in the click. but it is calibrated; I checked it against a fishing scale on a 1 foot pole. (Fish scales are ALWAYS accurate, right?)

Alternate torquing

It's good to have a hanging scale like one would measure the weight of a fish. Measure the distance from the bolt center in a wrench to where you can attach the scale and do the math for proper torque.

There are going to be times when you just can't use your torque wrench and this is a good alternate.

It can also serve as a means of verifying your torque wrench.

Attachments

• scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
It's good to have a hanging scale like one would measure the weight of a fish. Measure the distance from the bolt center in a wrench to where you can attach the scale and do the math for proper torque.

There are going to be times when you just can't use your torque wrench and this is a good alternate.

It can also serve as a means of verifying your torque wrench.

+1. I use this for my oil filter, which hides a bit in the firewall recess.

Also, it goes without saying, if you accidentally severely over-tighten a bolt, throw it away.

Beam type torque wrench

I use a 1/4 inch beam type torque wrench for the AN3 nuts and bolts. I think I bought it from Summit. It’s nice and compact and the scale is easy to see so I don’t overtorque the little ones.

when I practice using my torque wrench I never seem to feel the click
Neither on mine. But it sure will buzz with good batteries inserted the correct way and the wrench switched on :D

A BEAM torque wrench can be used to check the accuracy of a click torque wrench.
Use a socket size that will grab the shank of the one to be tested. Set the value to test and then pull one against the other.

The beam (under normal conditions) will stay accurate and needs no calibration. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hand-Tools-Wrenches-Torque-Wrenches/Beam/N-5yc1vZc6evZ1z19cg5

I finally gave up on the click-type and just run beam-type now. They don't have a "didn't click" failure mode.

Click wrenches require a little finesse. At low settings the click is hardly there at all, very easy to miss it and overtorque. The smallest wrench from Harbor Flight just barely has a bump for -3 lock nuts, better quality wrenches may have a better feel but TBH for small fasteners your wrist twist by itself is plenty, so it's not a bad idea at all to look at torque screwdrivers. Or as others mention, a beam wrench is an option if you can keep the scale in sight and avoid parallax error.

As others have said, the small 1/4" drive torque wrenches don't have a very noticeable "click" at low settings. Also, with any ratcheting torque wrench, it seems to work better with less chance of overshooting the setting if you make small "pulls", rather than pulling the handle through a long arc. After some movement of the fastener, allow the wrench to ratchet back, this helps remove any inadvertent side torque you've applied with the previous pull and often gives you a better "feel" for the click/bump when it happens.

I am looking for recommendations on torque wrenchs.
I just bought a RV7. I own a lot tools but torque wrenchs are not one them. What do I need to work on my plane?

Max

I just bought a RV7. I own a lot tools but torque wrenchs are not one them. What do I need to work on my plane?

Max

In theory, a torque wrench should be used on EVERY bolt in the airplane.

In practice, there are really only a couple dozen bolts where the torque wrench is critical and MUST-HAVE. You'll need a range from low to high torque, I keep three beam-style torque wrenches in my tool chest, in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive. That will cover everything on the airplane.

Regarding the OP on the click style torque wrench, I have found that if you leave the "spring compressed" for storage ie the torque setting set for some elevated value that the wrench does not seem to work well the next time you pull it out for use. And especially if left on an elevated setting that it sometime will not "click" and not provide accurate T value. I have removed the compression spring and reassembled , checked the torque with a " fish scale" and found that will restore the "click " and serviceability of that wrench. The internals of that wrench does have some slip and slide parts and a compression spring for measuring that force. But I do agree with others that the beam type wrench will provide far better reliability.

Old saying applies: "you get what you pay for"

Max

You’ll want at least two. One for AN3 bolts (25 INCH pounds) and similar light weight things; and one for spark plugs (35 FOOT pounds) and other heavy duty stuff, like main spar carry thru bolts.

Brand Name Tekton

I have two Tekton 'click' wrenches. One for inch*pounds one for Ft*pounds.

I also have a couple of the beam styles. But the Tektons have been so reliable and with a distinct bump or click, that I really prefer not having to look at the scale.

Torque wrench

Max

If I were starting over knowing what I do, and that's not much, I would buy a CDI 1/4" dial type torque wrench. I may buy one anyway.
I do have a CDI Torque Screwdriver that basically snaps. Nknway to miss the feeling. I often use it because it's so sensitive. Lowest is 5 in-lbs.

Tekton recommends that you "exercise" the wrench a few clicks before using it for a final torque. I find that clicking it over at a lower torque a few times (with the drive held in the vise) results in more consistent readings.

Back