What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marvel mystery oil

Marvel Mystery Oil.....

I like it in the fuel. I mix it per package directions, 4 oz per 10 gallons. I did not like it the oil. I'm not sure it is as beneficial and can decrease the viscosity of the oil, meaning your engine will run hotter. At least that is what I found. No sticky valves. I also like popcorn but not made with Marvel Mystery Oil....:D At least, I'm not sure I would. Never actually tried it. Sam might know something about that.....

Every plane

Have used it in every plane I have had and plan to use it in my Champ when finished. Use it in the fuel and in particular when I put auto gas in the RV for long trips as a lot of the people who run auto gas in old small continentals do. The popcorn meme is about the inrush of diverse opinions that are a likely result of the thread just like primer, fixed vs CS prop etc.

In my case a lot of the backcountry guys I flew my Pacer with used it and I heard a lot of old timer stories about 50 gal drums of the stuff being used, I figured no real harm and my motors have run well and oil sample results have been excellent.

From the science perspective it is apparently hard to prove the value but on the other hand I have not heard of negative results in using it except for the "throwing money down the drain" theory. For me the cost is not the issue and if there is the slightest chance that it helps the motor to be more reliable etc. I am all in, I also use camguard:D

Kind of like magic you either believe or you dont YMMV.
Figs

I'm not sure on MMO but I do use Flashlube mixed with 98 Oct fuel in one of my engines, previous owner used it since day one so I continued the process. Unsure of of any advantages as it's impossible to compare on any engine but it makes me feel right -)

While I wait for my popcorn to come out of the microwave, I’ll just say that the only engine I have ever used MMO in was the C65 in the old J-3 in which I was a partner. I have no idea if it did anything or not, but one of the partners wanted to use it in the gas, so we did. I have run my Lycomings for thousands of hours without it, and have never had any issues relating to the things its supposed to be good for - which doesn’t mean anything except that not using it probably won’t make you fall out of the sky ... or do an early engine rebuild.... or make you better looking....

Oops - popcorn’s done! ;)

Paul

.... or make you better looking....

That's the real mystery. If true, that's a modern marvel. Do I put it on my popcorn? How long until it takes effect?

Being more serious, I've got about 1500hrs of piston time, 1000hrs of that is in twins. Never used the stuff. One boss used the cheapest straight-weight oil he could get his hands on, bought it in 55 gal drums. His engines cost more than ours too, IO-520, TSIO-520, R-985, R-1340. Engines always made overhaul.

Feeding 3 deHavilland Beavers and a Noorduyn Norseman along with big Cessnas, couldn't afford to mix it with the gas.

Instead of MM Oil in the fuel, why not run a quality 2 cycle oil, that is made to be run through the cylinder lubricating it, and is designed to burn in such a way as to not foul plugs.??? MM Oil is designed for use in air tools....

MMO

I’ve been using it in the fuel for 30 years in five owned aircraft.
Ercoupe, C150, 28-140, C182, Zenith 601XLB.
Never experienced a stuck valve.
Does it work? I don’t know, but it doesn’t seem to hurt anything either.
I take vitamins too, do they work? I don’t know.
Dave

Instead of MM Oil in the fuel, why not run a quality 2 cycle oil, that is made to be run through the cylinder lubricating it, and is designed to burn in such a way as to not foul plugs.??? MM Oil is designed for use in air tools....

Yeah but 2-stroke engines don't have valves, the lubrication of which was what I thought was intent of using MMO.

-Marc

Marvel Mystery Oil Vitamin....

OK: Just to stay on message a little here: I have been using Marvel for decades in the Cub but it also burns autofuel. Which has no lead.:rolleyes: The older Continentals were designed to be run on leaded fuel. (Remember 80/87? Smelled great!) However, if I use too much 100LL, it has too much lead, the cylinders have a difficult time savaging the excess lead and the plugs will foul from lead deposits, needing to be cleaned about every oil change: 25 hours or so.....but it lubricates the valves. MM works as an upper cylinder lubricant and helps prevent sticking valves, at least in the lower horsepower Continentals. And no plug fouling. I used it on the C-65-8 before trading that for a C-90-8. I have not had a valve stick in over 1200 hours on this engine. SO: if it isn't working, the valves have mysteriously stopped sticking....:D:D

In the Oil

Had a problem with a occasional sticky valve on a C-85 until I mixed Marvel Mystery with the oil. Eliminated the problem. Was told by a old DC-3 mechanic they used it by the 55gallon drum way back when.

On my previous plane, running mogas, I switched from Marvel to 2 cycle oil. Apparently, Marvel evaporates before it is useful.

Mmo

Not sure, but I believe that it helps with the stock fuel selector valve. Makes it very easy to move. Been using it in the 6 for 7 years. No sticky valves in 1200;hours

I used to use it on Continental engines, but not on Lycoming as the smaller Continentals were prone to sticky valves. Just enough to pink the fuel.

I do use it on all my small motors - lawn tractor, mower etc at the beginning and end of the season.

Is it snake oil ?

Is Camguard snake oil ?

Is Avblend snake oil ?

Hang on...... just startin' to pop.... gotta go !

I mix MM with 100 gal mogas per instructions on the can. I use it in the C-150, and all my small gas engines, ie lawn tractor, line trimmers, chaninsaw, etc.

And it also solves another mystery - what is in Marvel Mystery Oil:

No mystery. Just look up the MSDS, or read the Wiki page:

Petroleum Distillates (Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic) 60-100%
Petroleum Distillates (Stoddard Solvent) 10-30%
Tricresyl Phosphate 0.1-1.0%
Ortho Dichlorobenzene 0.1-1.0%
Para Dichlorobenzene <0.1%

"Motor medic" products fill the shelves at your local auto parts store. Most are largely mineral oil and/or solvent, plus maybe a carbon dissolver, just like MMO. In the automotive trades, the #1 usage is to fix a noisy hydraulic lifter. None enjoy MMO's huge brand awareness.

My introduction to MMO was as a result of a Sport Aviation article about someone buying a surplus Bearcat from long term storage and flying it home. First leg consumed a horrific amount of oil, so they dumped in a gallon of MMO and almost immediately the oil consumption recovered to normal levels. I also know some very savy mechanics who use it in fuel and oil as a matter of course. That said, I know plenty of people (including me) who do NOT use it and suffer no ill effects from non use.

So aside from the marketing, what "problem" does MMO "solve", and are there other methods to achieve the same positive results?

"In an NTSB post aircraft accident investigation published in 2003, it was reported that Marvel Mystery Oil was composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard. but failed to mention any other trace chemical components."

Popcorn

I like the Amish Mushroom Popcorn from Shipshewana, IN the best! Pops up BIG and FLUFFY! I use an air popper. No oil... or lard.....:):):)

I’m not going to use Marvel Mystery Oil in anything until I see it advertised on the side of a NASCAR car.

I have had MMO in my hangar for as long as I have had a hangar. I reach for the MMO first when my air tools need oil.

For the first 5 years of the 1990s I ran Amoco Premium unleaded and 2oz MMO per 5 gallons in my 170’s O-300. The exhaust pipes were always sooty, and every year I had at least one cylinder off due to stuck valves and/or rings, always due to carbon buildup. Switched to straight 100LL and all that nonsense went away. However, I’ve never talked to another small Continental owner who would admit to the same experiences. I think there’s a 25-year old partial can of MMO on a shelf in my hangar.

I saw it resolve an issue of sticking valves in a gas engine in my c&c sailboat a long time ago ago ago. I do believe. MMO.
By the way, what's wrong with this picture?
IMG-1389.jpg

Last edited:
I saw it resolve an issue of sticking valves in a gas engine in my c&c sailboat a long time ago ago ago. I do believe. MMO

Yeah but Turbo....not that many sailboats powered with air-cooled Lycomings....:;

This popcorn needs more butter! :p

Back