What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snorkel, Frankensnorkel, Horz Induction B&C

N82VM

Well Known Member
Reading lots of posts about snorkel modification, cutting, glassing etc. All done to fit the B&C starter.

My question
1) Is this all custom due to all the variations of engine, FI set up, etc? Could it be produced semi custom and made to fit most applications?
2) Seems like a lot of interest in B&C + Horz induction, why has no one made an aftermarket snorkel?
3) Anyone done a flow test of the snorkel before and after modifying?

I’m building an 8A, smooth cowl, M1B with AFP FI. Given thought to swapping the supplied lightweight skytech starter with B&C.

Funny you should ask. Working to have a flow test on a stock Van’s snorkel done now. I’m hopeful the lessons learned from the RV-14 cowl and engine update to the IO-390-EXP119 (using the FM-200) have application for the AFP FM150C and IO-360-M1B. We should have some data in a few weeks.

Side note - when you order your engine specify the FM-150C as the older version will not fit under the tight RV-8 smooth bottom cowl (control connections are rearranged). The FM-150C, installed with the upcoming AFP linkage kit, fits perfectly. I’m also please with the boost in performance as compared with the standard AVSTAR injection system.

Carl

Side note - when you order your engine specify the FM-150C

Carl

I ordered a Thunderbolt last day before the $$$ increase. Lycoming says they anticipate the FM-150C being installed on engines that are being built in mid to late 2023. However not in stone on the when.

There’s behind the scene work between Van’s engineering and Lycoming being ironed out before they start installing the new 150C AFP injection

There’s behind the scene work between Van’s engineering and Lycoming being ironed out before they start installing the new 150C AFP injection

Correct and with luck the three stakeholders will soon agree on a path forward. In the meantime I suggest you work with Jeff Schans at Thunderbolt on options to get what you want.

Carl

Frankensnorkel

Reading lots of posts about snorkel modification, cutting, glassing etc. All done to fit the B&C starter.

My question
1) Is this all custom due to all the variations of engine, FI set up, etc? Could it be produced semi custom and made to fit most applications?
2) Seems like a lot of interest in B&C + Horz induction, why has no one made an aftermarket snorkel?

I’m building an 8A, smooth cowl, M1B with AFP FI. Given thought to swapping the supplied lightweight skytech starter with B&C.

In my case, the starter was not an issue but it's the standard Skytech. The problem was the Frankensnorkel was 1/2" too long to the Port side. I cut it in half right at the starter. Fit either end then bonded the split. Removed it and repaired the split properly. Just inflate a balloon inside. Layup the repair and pop the balloon. Apply neat epoxy inside and its slick as snot again. Actually it wasn't very slick from the factory. Lots of blemishes got sanded out.

Carl,

Have you received the results of the flow test?

Here is an update:
- I’ve been flying (RV-8 with IO-360-M1B) with the new FM-150C install for a couple of long cross countries (replaced the stock AVSTAR). I find it provides better performance across the operating envelope (take off power to cruise efficiency). I recommend all builders order their engine with the FM-150C. Reminder the RV-14 IO-390-EXP-119 engine comes with the AirFlow performance FM-200. For that matter my new RV-10 IO-540 with Cold Air Sump will also have the FM-200.
- AirFlow Performance has refined an install kit for Lycoming horizontal injected engines. Review by Van’s and Lycoming underway. I have a beta install and can report it works well.
- AirFlow Performance is doing a baseline flow test on a stock Van’s snorkel. Once done the snorkel will be sent to me, along with thoughts on modifications which I will do. Once done I’ll send it back to AirFlow Performance to redo the flow test. From that either leave as is or do more tweaks. Once the process is done and we have good before and after data, I’ll fly with it.

Side note - the proposed snorkel modifications do not make the snorkel bigger or increase the footprint. The objective is to smooth out the internal air flow. I expect I’ll just be cutting away at a bump or two, then glassing over. We’ll see.

Carl

Carl

- AirFlow Performance is doing a baseline flow test on a stock Van’s snorkel. Once done the snorkel will be sent to me, along with thoughts on modifications which I will do. Once done I’ll send it back to AirFlow Performance to redo the flow test. From that either leave as is or do more tweaks. Once the process is done and we have good before and after data, I’ll fly with it.

That is certainly interesting to hear since I was involved with the development of the snorkel for the EXP390 using the FM-200, which included Don doing testing on his flow bench and saying that the final configuration was quite good.

If there were changes that could have been made, that would have made it even better, I would expect that he would have mentioned them at that time.

EDIT - It looks like you were specifically talking about a snorkel on the FM-150... can't comment about that since we don't have a version that fits that specifically.

Last edited:
SNIP

EDIT - It looks like you were specifically talking about a snorkel on the FM-150... can't comment about that since we don't have a version that fits that specifically.

The snorkel I’m talking about is the stock snorkel for the four cylinder Lycoming engines, except the IO-390-EXP111.

The snorkel mods you did for the IO-390-EXP111 is the basis for taking this look.

Side note - this snorkel fits the FM-150 just like the standard AVSTAR. I used the same snorkel (with no changes) on my IO-360-M1B when I replaced the AVSTAR with the FM-150C.

Carl

Back