- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Default Pre-OSH Prep

A little while back I gave my grandson Dakota ("Kota") a choice of summer vacation options. #1 head to the Black Hills of South Dakota and do some dinosaur fossil research. He's BIG into Dino's as most seven year olds are. Or #2 head to a big airshow in Wisconsin called Oshkosh and spend the week looking at airplanes. I know my intentions may seem self serving, but truly the decision was his.

I showed him pictures/websites of the various activities we would do at either venue. He looked at me and said, "G-dad this is a tough decision. I'm gonna have to think about it." And think about it he did.

A couple weeks later I asked him again and he said, "Well I really like dinosaurs, but that airshow sounds like a A LOT of fun." So the decision was made.

In the weeks since then I have been taking him on short flights to see how he holds up in the plane. Over Memorial day weekend I thought it best to get some longer flight time on him. So a trip to Sydney, Nebraska--the home of Cabela's--was planned.

The following pictures are from that flight:

Kota doing what he does best -- playing with iPad... At least he's learning how to use Foreflight

More finger swiping

After an hour long flight and a short ride in the Cabela's van, we arrived at our destination

Well, now it's afternoon and it's starting to heat up outside. We get in 339A and depart Sydney, NE for Front Range. It's a bit BuMpY out, so I figure this will be good to see how he does in the bumps on the way back. Twenty-five minutes later I look over and this is what I see...

Starting to tip over

Down for the count. It was more of a problem trying to wake him up when I got to Front Range, so I could land the plane. Anyhow the bumps and longer trip sure didn't seem to bother him. He is declared fit for flight to OSH.

Keep pounding those rivets, it's definitely worth it.
Airport Landings

"In order to discover new lands one must have the courage to lose sight of the shore." Andre Gide

"Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) in The Edge

Last edited by 339A : 06-03-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Change Image Links...
Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 AM

Default Great writeup

The photos did not show for me. KAPA is a great field, were you landing on 17/35 or 10/28?

Geoff
Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 PM

Default Google Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchargmg View Post
The photos did not show for me. KAPA is a great field, were you landing on 17/35 or 10/28?

Geoff
Well Bummer, they were showing up for me... Tried to use Google Photos to do this and thought I had it set up correctly. Problem is I see them because they are linked to me... I changed the folder, curious if they're showing up now?

Thanks for the heads up.

Scott
Airport Landings

"In order to discover new lands one must have the courage to lose sight of the shore." Andre Gide

"Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) in The Edge
Old 06-03-2016, 02:03 PM

photos are showing up now.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 06-03-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
photos are showing up now.
Good deal! Thanks for letting me know. At least I understand how to use Google Pics for this. Most of our other trip write-ups were done using Image Shack and NONE of those pictures are available now...

Scott
Airport Landings

Old 06-03-2016, 02:21 PM

I wanna know how you two managed to switch seats, a) mid-flight, and b) without waking him up.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
I wanna know how you two managed to switch seats, a) mid-flight, and b) without waking him up.
How very observant you are. Pretty clever of me to do that mid-flight. Actually it's my phone... anytime I take a "selfie" it defaults to mirror image. I never remember to change it around, so all our selfie shots look like he's the pilot. Which Kota thinks is .

Scott
Airport Landings

Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM

Scott - a trip to Cabelas is a vacation itself! What fun. Im sure the one in NB is better than the GJ store. You could have come up to the Boise store. If you come this way, let me know. I always have a car to borrow if you want!
I hope to see you at AV!
Flying N376E
Old 06-03-2016, 03:09 PM

See ya at the show Scotty. I guess we'll miss Deb due to lack of seating?
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 06-03-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
Scott - a trip to Cabelas is a vacation itself! What fun. Im sure the one in NB is better than the GJ store. You could have come up to the Boise store. If you come this way, let me know. I always have a car to borrow if you want!
I hope to see you at AV!
Hey Rocky, good to hear from you. The Sydney Cabelas is the original store and it seems like they own about half the town. They've built new HQ buildings there. Always a fun ride, plus they come and get you at the airport in the van. I plan to be at OSH this year with Kota, if everything stays on track and he behaves himself. Just look for an old guy trying to catch a seven year old.

Scott
Airport Landings