What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gateway, Colorado Getaway

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Gateway, Colorado, a destination that has something for both him and her.
I know everyone is planning their spring and summer trips for this flying season and I hope Gateway can fit into your schedule, you’ll have fun there.

My wife bought me the new "Fly Utah" books by Galen Hanselman for my birthday this year. http://www.flyidaho.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_2 I have been looking up areas I would like to fly to this year when I came across an airport called Hubbard. Hubbard wasn't located in Utah but it just across the border just south of Grand Junction, CO. The airport is at 4632' and is 2400' long and 40' wide. I read the resort also had a car museum so I thought we would give it a try.
http://www.gatewaycanyons.com/index.php

The flight from Salt Lake City to Gateway was one hour in the RV. I read that the runway was in good condition even though it was a dirt runway. AirNav says it is a private runway but it is owned by the BLM and no permission is needed to land.

The flight there was beautiful as you fly over the Green River and into the canyon where the Dolores River flows towards the Colorado River.

539037223_5WaLs-L.jpg

The runways are 18-36. 18 is uphill and is the recommended landing runway with 36 for taking off.
539036273_FSAK7-L.jpg

The resort was very impressive from the air.
539041526_cxiey-L.jpg

The Palisade in the background made for some great pictures. We set up for a right downwind for runway 18.
539044792_HUBJL-L.jpg

539055476_kGxVB-L.jpg

When I was making position reports the Gateway Resort asked if we needed a ride, which we took them up on their offer.
After landing the resort pulled up in their suburban and the first words were, "Man I love RV's" from Erin. I knew we were in the right place when that is what you hear. She said to put the plane in the hanger since no one else was using it, so they helped push it in. Now that is service.

539065867_LhGyD-L.jpg

Last edited:
The runway was in great condition. The first quarter was a more rocky than the rest of the runway but none of it was too rough. I had the RV-10 stopped just over half way.
It's hard to find a runway with a much better view.
539094890_5hpBC-L.jpg

This resort is incredible. I asked about who built it and found out that the founder of the Discover Channel, John Hendricks, moved to the area in 1995 and built the resort a few years ago. He spared no expense on this place. We were lucky and had a room with it's own hot tub which was very cool.
The resort has a fishing pond and some great mountain bike trails just behind the hotel. Erin's husband, Luke works the adventure center at the resort where you can rent mountain bikes or just take out some cruisers for free for riding around the resort. They offer just about anything you want to do from river trips to Jeep or ATV trips. They just installed a new Frisbee golf course. By the way, both Erin and Luke are pilots as well so make sure you talk to them.

539075852_GCTVE-L.jpg

539078181_XZMEh-L.jpg

Mountain bike and hiking trail. Just talk to the guys at the adventure center on how to find it.
539089320_t34sf-L.jpg

539086098_swJaC-L.jpg

539112331_ve2f7-L.jpg

Here is the pool and the private hot tub at some of the rooms.
539113385_BpxcQ-L.jpg

539073242_noaQU-L.jpg

Last edited:
The Restaurant and General Store
539118848_gwGm4-L.jpg

539121980_CuENU-L.jpg

The next morning we walked the grounds where they were building a new conference center and amphitheater. We ran into a new colt walking in the field near by as well.
539123421_Lcxtn-L.jpg

539129033_VgV2b-L.jpg

539130551_3WLyi-L.jpg

Not only does this resort have a spa for your wife (or you) but they have a world class auto museum and I had no idea it was so close to me. I don't want to spoil it for you but want to share a few pictures of the collection that John Hendricks has. He has 100 years of American automobiles. They were missing the 1906 Cadillac because the wood cracked but it was impressive.

539214018_58ynp-XL.jpg

539136079_iZAei-L.jpg

539139378_iaaJE-L.jpg

539138273_YwqeN-L.jpg

While we were walking around we met Darrell Hendrickson who keeps this place perfectly clean. He knew so much about every car. If you visit and he is there, make sure you talk with him. He taught me so much about some of the early cars. For instance, did you know that the Duesenberg and Auburn automobiles were powered by Lycoming engines?
http://www.lycoming.com/engines/legacy/index.html
539154593_2EJk6-L.jpg

539145501_nDRNu-L.jpg

This Auburn had headlights that were connected to the steering column so they turned when you turned just like a few of today's modern cars.
539150114_YDHyq-L.jpg

This apparently is one of Mr. Hendricks favorite cars to drive.
539160118_mMiUt-L.jpg

This 1957 Mercury had memory seats!
539175766_CNGMj-L.jpg

539180686_mdWQ8-L.jpg

He has many of the old ads around the museum as well.
539174731_E6QJi-L.jpg

539197952_DH5ay-L.jpg

OCC Chopper made for the Discovery Channel.
Apparently Indian Larry's wife made the shifter for this bike.
539201641_29trm-L.jpg

539203117_254RX-L.jpg

539204499_naQwp-L.jpg

The crown jewel of the collection is this 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 concept car. This was purchased at Barrett-Jackson in 2005 for $3.24 Million.
It was designed by Harley Earl. They let me jump up on the turn table for some cockpit photos.
539209630_uzDEv-XL.jpg

539188324_5cTQH-L.jpg

539189823_2QmX3-L.jpg

539183819_xE5Hd-L.jpg

539185080_Zcme9-L.jpg

There are many more great cars for you to go see. Look close for where the fuel goes in or what new technology they were adding throughout the years. Just walking around gave me some fun design ideas for airplanes.

We left the museum and Erin gave us a ride back to the airport in the Jeep. Our flight home was great but we will back. By the way, if you go in the clothing shop and see "Anasazi" Bob, ask him to play his flute. He loves to study Native American history and apparently is an expert at reading the different panels around the area. (no not our panels, petroglyph panels)

539219438_jtA2h-L.jpg

539226894_LeNsj-L.jpg

539232869_V5oLP-L.jpg

539236230_45Lr3-L.jpg

Just to the north about 4 miles is Mr. Hendricks home and personal landing strip. He also is a pilot and fly's a Maule and a Grand Caravan off this beautiful grass strip. It sure is cool that he built this resort and shares his car collection with everyone.

539243526_kyHsJ-L.jpg

539244789_Vb8Mv-L.jpg

If you are able, make this a destination for this years flying (or driving).
539099853_8v4hJ-L.jpg

Thank you, Scott!!!

I really like sitting down and the PC and seeing these travel stories of yours pop up from time to time. If this one doesn't motivate some folks I don't know what will.

I'm sending the URL to my wife right now <g>.

b,
d

Agreed!

I have lived on the western slope of CO for 10 years and Gateway is truly one of the great hidden getaways, and the Car museum is worth it alone. It is a great collection!

Thank you Scott!
Great shots and writing! That Gibraltar rock view from the end of the runway is impressive.

Great place, great photos, great trip. Can't thank you enough for sharing. As I say so often lately, "Just WAIT til I get my RV in the air...

Heck, it's only a 1.5 hour flight from ABQ, and the wx is nice, and the kids want to get out of the house..

Thanks for the recommendation Scott.

We are here!!

My wife our 10 year old son and I just got out of the pool here. This place is better than I had imagined! :) A not to be missed flyin destination. We flew in from Denver in my Mooney MSE and the strip is adequate. Thanks for the report Scott.
Randy Brown
Someday an 8

Just went for the weekend. It really is a nice place, and the strip was just fine. A fun takeoff over the resort and river valley. Will definately have to return back with the other kids!

BTW, the hangar is open to anyone who lands there.

9CO3.jpg

dca.jpg

13 years later...

Pirep on the place thirteen years later. There is no hangar anymore just a concrete pad.

Gateway_-_1_(1).jpeg

The airstrip is in very rough condition. Probably wasn't groomed since Scott was there. Very soft, rutty with exposed rocks not an RV place.

Gateway_-_1.jpeg

Gateway_-_1_(7).jpeg

Resort is stunning with impressive auto museum.

Gateway_-_1_(3).jpeg

Gateway_-_1_(4).jpeg

Gateway_-_1_(6).jpeg

Gateway_-_1_(5).jpeg

Departure at high density altitude with two persons onboard was challenging. For RV not 182B :)

Gateway_-_1_(2).jpeg

Gateway_-_1_(8).jpeg

Thanks Vlad

Bummer the hangar is gone but so glad you were able to go check that place out. I want to head back and see the cars again.

Thanks for the update.

I haven’t landed there, but have picnic’d on top of the Mesa five miles to the west. A backcountry strip called Dolores Point.

Back