What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360M1B

Berchmans

Well Known Member
I am planning on the IO-360M1B horizontal induction engine w/ constant speed prop on the 8 I am building. As part of the build process I ordered the throttle, mixture and C/S control cables prior to getting the entire FWF kit. I have since aquired the latest parts list for the FWF kit from Vans and have a delema. I order previously and installed 2 CT Q-60 cables and 1 CT Q-55 cable...I note that the current parts list shows 1 CT Q-60 cable and 2 CT Q-55 cables...is the extra 5 inches of length in one control cable going to be an issue? Should I pull the bad boy and replace?...anyone run into this before in horizontal induction?

My query to Van's in 2007 is the likely reason why the mixture cable length was changed from 60" to 55" in future FWF kits. After looking into it, here is the response from Van's at that time:

"We measured the cable on our -8A and it is 55". We have decided to
change the kit contents to reflect the shorter cable. No one knows why there
were two 60" cables in the kit in the first place. Perhaps it's because our
200 horse engine has a forward mounted governor and needed a 60" to
reach."

Here is a link to the relevant thread that described my experience with the too long mixture cable:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=21453

Back