What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice on Panel Design

Neil

I am in the process of finalising the design and then cutting of the panel ..
Would welcome any constructive comments about the attached design.

Thanks

Neil

Neilm88

I have some thoughts, have you bought all the bits yet?

I see u r in tassie, may be easier to talk on the phone check you pm inbox:)

Vans F703X-1 Drawing

Neil,

If you downloaded the RV-7 tipup drawing from the Vans web site, then the vertical dimension of your panel is incorrect.

The Vans drawing does not include the flange bent at the bottom of the panel as they ship them.

Vans F703X-1 drawing has a height of 11.456" (290 mm)
The actual F703X-1 panel has a height of 10.688" (271.5 mm)

Also because of the flange bend, the FLAT of the panel starts at .261" (6.6 mm) from the bottom of the panel.

If you need the correct dimension drawing, send me your e-mail and I will get it to you.

Might give a thought to reducing the height of the panel (if it's a slider) as the larger panels are difficult to wiggle underneath which you'll find yourself doing a lot later on. (Not as big a deal with a tip up).
You could move the gx pilot over to where the ft50 is and move that to the right side, might have to move trim switch also depending on how much you could cut down. I cut down a new panel from Vans when I upgraded mine after so many tight fits under friends RV panels I was helping out on.

2rzytjt.jpg
[/IMG]

.....welcome any constructive comments about the attached design....
Neil,

Nice panel. Based upon hearsay in general and first hand knowledge of technical problems experienced by a builder/pilot I happen to know, I agree with the suggestion to lose the MicroAir stuff. You get what you pay for. In addition, the panel mounted compass may be an unnecessary redundancy. If you do go that route, its a good idea to isolate the compass from potential interference. Locating it directly adjacent a radio seems asking for trouble. Saying that, even installing the compass may not be necessary IF a glass display provides "magnetic direction indicator" information. I'd do a bit more research on that particular subject before cutting holes and spending bucks for a wet compass purchase.

Hello Neil,

Just a heads up. It would help if you could reply with what model you have, it looks to be a RV7 ? and if its going to be VFR or IFR.

If its VFR day in Australia you will need a compass, see casa CAO 28.18 issue8 appendix 1
"A direct reading magnetic compass or a remote indicating compass ( EFIS ) AND a stby direct reading magnetic compass"

I used a SIRS from Vans mounted on the roll bar.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1326059164-274-255&browse=fi&product=sirs-compass

Have fun.

Last edited:
What??!!!

Hello Neil,

....... AND[/U] a stby direct reading magnetic compass"

Your kidding me. A back up compass for VFR Day? Since when? As I read that correctly for VFR you need two compasses?

I have been flying for a while with "out-of-spec panel" aircraft then

It might be worth having another cig lighter 12V outlet closer to the left end of the panel, as well, so you could use it if you wish.

And if you're going to have a whiskey compass at least put it where you can see it.

From what the other replies suggest, there's not room to move the circuit breakers elsewhere, but if you could, you could install a glove box for small storage there. Storage handy for the pilot is a precious thing.

Dave

If it's a carbureted engine then I wouldn't put the boost pump switch next to the avionics master. Would be kindof a bummer to accidentally turn off the avionics master instead of the boost pump shortly after take off.

Not drifting the thread, but as we are talking about panel planning, is anyone doing a product like Experimental Air used to do with drag and drop instruments and a CD file output for water jet cutting ?

I would install the 2nd comm radio under the rest of the radio stack - the compass can then be installed well away from anything electrical - move the Hobbs somewhere else (or use the G3X?). Agree that Microair stuff can be problematic.

I would put the fuel pump and landing light switches close to the throttle, so not far to reach when entering the circuit.

Its also useful to have a 'control stick steering' momentary button, and also a radio frequency flip flop momentary switch either on the stick or close to the throttle.

Pete

Same thing in Canada. It can even be a cheapy from Caanadian tire

Actually, in Canada the regs are not that clear. You must have a compass that operates "independently of the aircraft electrical system." More than a few builders have successfully argued that an internal backup battery (like in the Dynon D10 series), being internal to the EFIS, is independent of the aircraft electrical system.

MD-RA, however, has been directed to interpret the vague wording to mean that you require a whiskey compass in all aircraft, even those with dual AHARS.

There is no logic in beauracracy.

Many thanks !!!

Thank you all for the constructive comments. I have certainly incorporated most of these within the new design. The panel was for a 9A - tipup, IFR with CS prop and fuel injected, mag + EI. {Garmin 2xGDU + GTN 650 - etc}

I have deleted the Micro-air 760, and changed the position of the back-up instruments.

Special thanks to Bill in "upnorthavaition.com". Why have Vans posted a .dxf file of a panel that is WRONG !???

Also thanks to David Brown... am writing because of distance issues!

Your kidding me. A back up compass for VFR Day? Since when? As I read that correctly for VFR you need two compasses?

I have been flying for a while with "out-of-spec panel" aircraft then

Gus you bad boy !

Yes you do need "direct reading magnetic compass" even if you have an efis system.

see page 12 link below.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=casa%20cao%2028.18&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.casa.gov.au%2Fdownload%2Forders%2Fcao20%2F2018.pdf&ei=WLoMT7mIINKbiQeMh6zqBQ&usg=AFQjCNGwshpp6Nw72j1TfZH82a7g9r47BQ&sig2=D02QbzPdpG0wEUCW7iLVqA&cad=rja

Its all in the CAO.

Last edited:
Back