What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anyone run into these issues? RV10

Propchop

#1. Page 23-9 figure 1.

With aileron in full up position the W-1018 makes contact on the bottom side as it passes through the hole in the rear spar prior to making contact with the stop. Aileron is rigged as per instructions on page 23-9 paragraphs 4 and 5. Looked at another 10 on the airfield and we can see where material has been removed from W-1013 bracket but still has good edge distance on the rivets. Don’t like this but it still has edge distance IAW AC 43.13. Any thoughts.

rv10_aileron_01.jpg

rv10_aileron_02.jpg

#2. Page 39-10 figure 3.

F-1065 has a slight rub on the F-1089 pushrod assembly when the control sticks are full aft and moved left and right. Checked the other 10 on the airfield and can hear the same rub going on. But that don’t mean it’s right! Have attached pictures of both issues.

rv10_pushrod_01.jpg

rv10_pushrod_02.jpg

rv10_pushrod_03.jpg

#1. Page 23-9 figure 1.

With aileron in full up position the W-1018 makes contact on the bottom side as it passes through the hole in the rear spar prior to making contact with the stop. Aileron is rigged as per instructions on page 23-9 paragraphs 4 and 5. Looked at another 10 on the airfield and we can see where material has been removed from W-1013 bracket but still has good edge distance on the rivets. Don’t like this but it still has edge distance IAW AC 43.13. Any thoughts.

rubbing of control rods = bad. YOu need to keep creating clearance until the rubbing ceases. Trust me, you will like that your ailerons move when commanded more than you dislike the idea of cutting away material.

F-1065 has a slight rub on the F-1089 pushrod assembly when the control

If you still have enough thread engagement, you can extend the heim out a few turns so that the nut clears the hex rod. I believe this was discussed in the manual and that is the reason the heim sticks out further than normal in that specific location.

Be sure to observe the recommendation for minimum thread engagement.

Larry

Last edited:
Problem #1

Yes, problem #1 is common and needs to be opened up to eliminate any rub. You did not build anything wrong. Just wondering how old your kit is and if they have fixed it? I believe all the early kits had that issue, not sure if the later ones do?

I don’t remember problem #2.

As I recall, problem number 2 should go away when you get the entire aircraft together and adjust all the linkages to obtain the correct travel

don't overlook problem #2.5

I had a slight rubbing that I thought was problem #2 as well. I painted the hex tubes white and there even was a spot where some paint was removed. Turns out that was during construction and once the final rigging was done it no longer rubbed. Alas I still had a rubbing sound when full aft and moving ailerons to full deflection on both sides. The issue was a very slight rubbing of the hex tube on the forward edge of the slots in the tunnel sides. It would only happen full aft and almost full aileron deflection. This is an impossibility with me in the pilots seat due to my inbuilt roll limiting devices (legs). Never the less I laid uncomfortably in the plane for an hour+ with a file and carefully widened the slots some at the contact point on the tunnel sides.

Last edited:
Back