What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Leading Edge Stainless Tape

jcbarker

Well Known Member
Anyone know where I can get some stainless steel tape for the leading edge of my flaps? Some suggest using UHMW tape on the underside of the wing skin that contacts the flap LE. Got a source for that?

Thanks,

JB
RV-8 just painted

I got the UHMW tape from Van's.

I got the stainless steel tape from McMaster-Carr.
PN 76055A23 Stainless Steel Foil Tape, 3" Width X 3 Yards Length

Hope this helps.

I'm sure the stainless would *look* great...anyone have experience with it long-term (wear, abrasion on the underside of the wing skin, etc.)?

I was planning UHMW on the flap, but I know this can yellow over time...

I'm sure the stainless would *look* great...anyone have experience with it long-term (wear, abrasion on the underside of the wing skin, etc.)?

I haven't installed either the UHMW or stainless tape yet, but I plan on installing thed UHMW on the bottom of the wing skin instead of on the flap. I've been told that this works, and that if it yellows it isn't seen.

I wouldn't recommend the Vans UHMW tape. I used some on my aircraft during the build process and it yellowed before the project was finished. It also lost adhesion...and then when I went to get it off I found that it left a horrible residue that was a REAL nightmare to clean off. A really terrible product.

I recommend you try a 3M auto paint protection product. Probably twice the price....but 10 times better. See here:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/

How about?

FWIW on corporate and commercial aircraft we use products like this in chaffing areas such as the flap LE's. It contains teflon and can be tinted to match the base coat color. I don't know the cost so it might be a bit of an overkill. In service we normally touch it up every couple of years with a roller and since it matches the base coat it is much more attractive than tape.

Oh, joy. I put that stuff on the LE during the build process with the intent of removing/replacing it at final assembly, in order to protect the flap LE during fitting and construction. Well, here's hoping it's not *too* much of a booger to get off :(

FWIW on corporate and commercial aircraft we use products like this in chaffing areas such as the flap LE's. It contains teflon and can be tinted to match the base coat color. I don't know the cost so it might be a bit of an overkill. In service we normally touch it up every couple of years with a roller and since it matches the base coat it is much more attractive than tape.

I have tried to find a supplier for this kind of paint and have had no luck. It is VERY expensive, but it sure seems like the best way to go. I have used a product similar to the 3M product Captain Avgas mentions and it is very good. Does not yellow and goes on wet so it is easier to work with than UHMW. It is fairly thick so the close tolerance between the flap and wing skin can be an issue.
I would avoid UHMW if at all possible.

You can get very thin teflon tape that should do the job, on the out of sight lower wing surface -

Pure_Teflon.jpg

It's sold for permanent installation on rubbing glider control surfaces -

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm half-way down...

That 1" wide teflon tape on the underside of top skin is what I used.

I try to clean both contact surfaces after landing and during preflight as dirt likes to get up in there. After landing on a squishy grass Triple Tree runway last Friday, then retracted flaps all the way for taxiing(I usually go half), I got my first scratch on top side of flap. Oh well. It won't be the last.

To answer your question....

Anyone know where I can get some stainless steel tape for the leading edge of my flaps?...
I installed SS tape years ago to compliment the polished aluminum and vastly prefer it to the look of translucent UHMW. It is holding up very well. To directly answer your original question which no one has thus far, I believe I originally ordered a roll of it from JC Whitney but if that company no longer has it in stock, not to worry....Grainger does.

16bm2c0.jpg

If you are careful!

If you are careful you can get by without the tape. Surfaces can be aligned close enough that tape is not needed. Look at a few RVs and you will see many of them do not use the tape. Metal tape will release and become irregular on the edges after a time (3-4 years). The plastic tape does adhere well, but discolors after a time. :rolleyes:

Stainless steel tape item 100200

You won't believe it, but you can get it at J C Whitney in the aviation section (just kidding). Go in with a friend and buy the 20 foot roll that is 4 inches wide. item #100200 currently out of stock. :mad:You will need three people to install it. I did the Doll's flaps at Grady's Aero Glow paint shop on 52F. How lucky for me...............Grady's shop is 1000 feet south of my hanger!

This is subject it like a Wack-a-Mole game. No matter how many times we smack down the UHMW and stainless tapes, they just keep coming back.

If you want a product that is inexpensive, won't yellow, won't slice your fingers, won't leave residue if you ever need to remove it, and will peel off in ONE piece if you remove it, there is only one choice: 3M paint protection film.

Scroll down to the PPF, which is available in 2", 4" and 6" widths.

Paint and Trim

For most RV flaps, a 10' x 4" piece of PPF is plenty. You will actually use only 3" of width and can trim the 1" x 10' piece off with scissors to use elsewhere.

Seriously, once you've used this stuff, you'll feel sorry for those guys who used the other stuff.

If you are careful you can get by without the tape. Surfaces can be aligned close enough that tape is not needed. Look at a few RVs and you will see many of them do not use the tape. Metal tape will release and become irregular on the edges after a time (3-4 years). The plastic tape does adhere well, but discolors after a time. :rolleyes:

????

I would like to see some photos of this metal tape and its time in service.

My metal tape has been on for 15-years, 2,654 flying hours, and still has not released or become irregular.

Van quit selling SS tape when the supply started becoming LOW quality. I purchased mine from Van and the box it came in said JC Whitney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all that responded to my original question. I bought a roll from McMaster as well as a roll of uhmw which I'll put on the underside of the wing skin. I'll let you all know how it worked out and post some pictures.

Cheers!

If you want a product that is inexpensive, won't yellow, won't slice your fingers, won't leave residue if you ever need to remove it, and will peel off in ONE piece if you remove it, there is only one choice: 3M paint protection film.

Seriously, once you've used this stuff, you'll feel sorry for those guys who used the other stuff.

I wholeheartedly agree. The other stuff is worse than nothing at all.

Erich

Back