What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL N16 NAV

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
Anyone using this MGL Nav receiver with a SkyView EFIS? If so, how is it working out?

For the new plane I’m looking for a NAV to go with the Dynon radio (Comm #2) or a NAV/COM to go with the Garmin GNC-355 instead of the grossly overpriced GTN-650. The Garmin NAV/COM (at ~$4000) also fails the value test.

The TRIG TX-56 NAV/COM fits the bill but it is not currently available.

Thanks,
Carl

I use an MGL V16 (COM2) and N16 with my Skyview HDX. It works quite well, but since the HDX can only manage one COM via serial at a time, I've got a toggle switch to select what talks with the HDX. One side is COM1 (Garmin GTR200), the other is COM2/NAV, emulating an SL30. This means that I need to be switched to the COM2/NAV to get the NAV to feed the HSI.

I also send the NAV serial to my Garmin G5 (not switched), so I always have the NAV available there, but it is receive only. If I want to tune the NAV radio, I do it from the Razor head or from the HDX when switched correctly. The Razor is the easier way - I rarely tune with the HDX.

As far as the N16 itself, it's worked well for me, VOR, LOC and GS. I've got an Archer antenna in my left wingtip.

Thanks Claude - good feed.

The Dynon radio as COMM #2 and the MGL N16 as the NAV will be Plan B. Plan A remains the Trig TX-56 NAV/COM but whatever is causing the delay in bringing it out may not get resolved.

Carl

Back