What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto Pilot Issue

gen1313

I've just clocked up 50 hours on my 14 and have recently noticed a small issue with the auto pilot (GMC-307 & GSA-28's).

On the last couple of cross country trips, I have noticed that the pitch servo is making constant small adjustments. This only amounts to 20 feet or so in altitude change but the conditions are perfect and lightly touching the stick I can feel constant small adjustments being made for pitch only. Because it's only a small issue I cant say exactly when it started but I can't imagine what I have changed that could be related. I recently updated the G3X software but I think the problem started before that.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Graham,

While setting up the AP in N914VA, I experienced the same thing. You need to adjust the gain in the pitch servo. Our website has all the basic settings for an RV-14 G3X AP system as I determined during testing. They most probably will need to be tweaked for your airplane, but are a good start. In the meantime, set the gain in the pitch servo to:

Vertical Speed Gain 1.50
Vertical Accel Gain 1.50

That should help.

Good luck

Mitch,
You updated your signature line, but didn't change your location. Are you staying on the East coast? Congratulations, by-the-way.

Graham,

While setting up the AP in N914VA, I experienced the same thing. You need to adjust the gain in the pitch servo. Our website has all the basic settings for an RV-14 G3X AP system as I determined during testing. They most probably will need to be tweaked for your airplane, but are a good start. In the meantime, set the gain in the pitch servo to:

Vertical Speed Gain 1.50
Vertical Accel Gain 1.50

That should help.

Good luck

Thanks Mitch,
I'll check it out but I'm fairly confidant that I used Vans suggested settings. The puzzling thing is that it all seemed good and now it has changed.
At least you've given me somewhere to look.

Thanks Mark. Didn't dig that deep into the change on VAF. Not staying on the east coast. The move comes in a month.

Back