What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Ribs

salto

Well Known Member
Hi All, question in regard to preparing wing Ribs. On first inspection the flanges look reasonably close to 90 deg so how much work is expected to end up with a good result?

Much to my wife's disgust I straightened the wing ribs while I was watching TV, so the time wasn't a factor. It didn't take long for each one but there are a lot of them.
She drew the line at deburring and scuffing (no sense of humor).

Tank Ribs

The tank ribs are the most important ones to have smack on so that everything goes together smoothly and you get a good seal. The last thing you want to do when you are trying so stuff ribs into a prosealed lined skin is worry about having to straighten flanges when the proseal clock is ticking.
Tom.

Actually, In many cases, it's a good idea to over-form the ribs, say 87-85 deg as they "relax" on riveting.

Can't say specifically that I've seen this on a RV, but I've seen rib flanges "print" a line through the skin as a result of this "relaxation" after in-flight vibrations. I also put a slight roll on the edge so the contact point for the edge of the flange is a radius rather than an edge.

FWIW

mjb

All great tips thanks Gents. Not sure I'll overbend the ribs that much Marc but I take your point on the flange edge so I think the buff wheel can assist there.

3-5 degrees isn't that much of an "over bend".

Deburring is good, but rolling the edge is much better, especially if you don't over bend.

mjb

I have found that adjusting rib or bulkhead flanges to the net angle of the skin that is attaching to it produces the best results.
Over bent or under bent flanges will force the skin to conform to the angle of the flange.

Back