What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 31B-18 Rev 1 Floating Connector Question

1974av8r

Van's recently released a revision to page 31B-18 which requires moving one wire to a different hole in the ES-00078 "Floating 8 Pos Connector". I fully understand what is supposed to happen, but I cannot seem to disengage the pin from the housing.

The revision page, which shows the parts I am referring to:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-12/31B-18.pdf

I remember inserting the wires into the housing and hearing an audible "click" when they locked in, but I do not understand how to make them unlock.

I have tried prying up and down on the pin (from both sides) with a small screwdriver while pulling on the wire, but obviously I am doing something wrong.

If anyone has successfully completed this small task, please let me know.

Thank you,

Richard

A small piece of tubing usually brass from the hobby shop or good hardware store that just fits over the pin will push in the ears enough to allow the pin to be removed.

Different kind of connector.

I appreciate the reply, but it is a different kind of connector than the round Molex pins. These do not have "ears", they are a completely different style.

Thanks again,

Richard

I had to move a pin in one of those a while back. To do it, I took two stems from some of the LP rivets we had laying around, and pounded them flat on one end. To make it narrow enough to slide in the notch I used a deburring wheel and just knocked the sides down a bit that where it got mushed out. With some finesse, you can insert both of them in the slots where the little clips are and push them in far enough to get the wire out without damaging it at all.

Hope that is explained well enough for you.

Another solution is to make a small blade type tool out of .016" aluminum. You can slide this down into the slot enough to push the pin back allowing you to pull the wire out.

What's Section 31B??? and should I be concerned?

I have the "old" fuse/finish kits with the old D-180 wiring, and got the Skyview panel package with the associated instructions, including:

Section 31A--Wing Electrical Connector Upgrade, which shows the left fuselage connector with 5 wires--31A-07, Figure 4

and

Section 42D--Skyview Update Instructions, which also show the left fuselage
connector with 5 wires--42D-23 Figure 2.

Where does Section 31B fit into the grand scheme of things, along with this recent 31B-18 Rev 1, showing a three-wire connection to the left fuse connector????

I don't have any Section 31B in any of my plans--but what I see of it is having me checking into the Texas State Home for the Bewildered again.

I just assumed 31B is the section for newer builders that go right to the SV wiring harness and the new wing connectors and everything, without retrofitting anything.

Molex extraction tool:

11-03-0003__33304_zoom.jpg

Back