What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vinyl panel skin

wirejock

Well Known Member
Does anyone know how to convert a DXF Cad file to a Vector file to print on vinyl?

I have this beautiful CAD drawing with labels on a separate layer so the vinyl skin can be printed and apllied. The vinyl places want a fortune to convert it like it's some sort of government secret from Area 51.
This is the beauty of experimental. We do stuff on our own. I get really irritated when someone won't share techniques. If I figure it out, as with all my tips, it will be shared so others can do it.

I may be able to help. Not promising since I have not done this before but internet sez I can.

Send you DXF file to flysr10 at gmail and I see what I can do.

File conversion

I may be able to help. Not promising since I have not done this before but internet sez I can.

Send you DXF file to flysr10 at gmail and I see what I can do.

Awesome. Thanks
I am making final tiny corrections. When it's done, I'll reach out.

Does anyone know how to convert a DXF Cad file to a Vector file to print on vinyl?

I have this beautiful CAD drawing with labels on a separate layer so the vinyl skin can be printed and apllied. The vinyl places want a fortune to convert it like it's some sort of government secret from Area 51.
This is the beauty of experimental. We do stuff on our own. I get really irritated when someone won't share techniques. If I figure it out, as with all my tips, it will be shared so others can do it.

Try this https://cloudconvert.com/dxf-to-svg

I used Corel Draw to import a CAD file of my panel (pretty sure it was DXF), create graphics and words on a colored background, and sent it to the local sign shop to print a big vinyl sticker. No painting, no individual labels to misalign...

Big label

I used Corel Draw to import a CAD file of my panel (pretty sure it was DXF), create graphics and words on a colored background, and sent it to the local sign shop to print a big vinyl sticker. No painting, no individual labels to misalign...

That's exactly what I'm trying to do! I have a DXF with multiple layers. We are working out the final details. One layer is all the holes and cut lines. Another layer is all the labels. The idea is to print the cut lines on sacrificial vinyl. Cut ir drill all the holes. Remove the cut vinyl. Clean up the panel. Print the final on some nice carbon fiber. Install goodies. Future adjustments using the original drawing should be easy to reprint. Easy peasy right? Famous last words. I will detail the process if it ever gets done!

Back