Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2020, 10:14 AM

Default Fit Wings Now, Then Remove?

Howdy everyone. Planning ahead, I see the instructions have me fit/drill the wings to the fuselage. I am curious if I may fit the wings then remove them again to save space, or should I build as much as I can first, then fit the wings and leave them on?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karetaker View Post
Howdy everyone. Planning ahead, I see the instructions have me fit/drill the wings to the fuselage. I am curious if I may fit the wings then remove them again to save space, or should I build as much as I can first, then fit the wings and leave them on?

Thanks.
You can fit and remove. I didn't have room in my garage to install the wings when they said to do it in the manual. Did everything I could and installed the wings for the first time when I brought everything to the hangar. Still had to remove them to finish things at the wing root prior to final install. Removing them after installation is not too much of a problem. I used 2 standard AN bolts on each wing with a tapered end and the head cut off to form a pin. Save the close tolerance bolts until final install. Use light oil on the spar ends and the pins to help them slide in.
RV7 - Built in 6.5 yrs & Flying 2017
Old 03-13-2020, 04:23 PM

Default I stand on the shoulders of others

I have taken the advice of others and will fit the wings at the airport. I cant see trying to mickey mouse it in my garage.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 35% canopy done for now
Electrical 65% in work
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 03-13-2020, 05:03 PM

I talked to Van's they said to me, it does not matter. I did not until it was time to fit permanently Glad I did it that way. But each to their own.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
Old 03-13-2020, 05:11 PM

I've been thinking about this too. If I understand correctly I can wait and do all the test fitting, drilling the rear spar and installing nut-plates later when I move the plane to the airport for final assembly?

Aitor
Old 03-13-2020, 11:12 PM

My tech counselor said it doesn't matter if room is tight (like mine). There's no reason to do it now.
I'm fitting the tail now only because I'm taking a break from the canopy. Once done I'll store it until later.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:25 PM

I fitted my wings just recently when the entire fuse was basically 100% done. No problem at all.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:13 PM

You will have to remove the wings to install nut plates after the test fit and drilling the lower fuselage skin and the top wing gap fairing so fit the wing now, remove, install stuff and final assemble at hanger?? BTW setting up the flaps and ailerons now will save lots of work at the hanger during final assembly. :-)
Old 03-16-2020, 05:58 AM

I did one wing at a time in my shop. I only had enough room for one. After fitting one wing, I removed it and rotated the fuselage to fit the second wing. I used hardware bolts cleaned and oiled with the threads ground to a blunt point to help alignment. Made it easy, plus I was able to use the same bolts during final assembly as alignment pins.

It was a 10 and not a 7, but I am guessing they are close to the same with all of the chores needed. I found it much easier to do in the comfort of my home shop (with tools and heat) than it would have been at the new unheated hanger in January. My goal was to get as close to an 'assembly project' at the airport rather than fabrication. It worked extremely well with a fairly quick final assembly at the airport.
Dues paid 2020
Old 03-16-2020, 05:58 AM

Thanks guys. Still have a lot to do prior to getting to the wings so I have time to plan.