Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Southeast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 AM

Default A strange request on an RV forum

Hi

I'm an RV disciple from the bottom of the Pacific. I fly my RV-6 anytime I can and love every moment of it. My RV and me have even flown across the Tasman to Australia!

This year a mate of mine (who fly's a Tecnam ) have decided to do the pilgrimage to Oshkosh with our wives. Sadly we're not likely to find an RV with 4 seats that has the payload of a Cessna 182 so we've settled on flying a C182 into Oshkosh.

We're landing in Houston and plan to tour Houston, New Orleans and Memphis by car before collecting a C182 somewhere in Texas, Louisiana Arkansas or Mississippi and taking a week to get to Oshkosh and a week to get back. Most flight schools seem to want their aircraft to fly about 3hrs/day but we're not likely to get much beyond 1.5 - 2hrs/day on account of the aircraft being parked at Oshkosh for 5 days.

Ideally we're looking for a private owner who may be prepared to rent their aircraft to us after we're appropriately checked out by an instructor they trust. If you know someone on your airfield with a C182 who might be prepared to rent their aircraft to us I'd be grateful for their contact details.
I have 1350hrs total time, incl 500hrs in my RV-6 and 110hrs in a C182.
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:41 AM

I'd be surprised if it's legal to fly a rental aircraft in the US on a NZ pilot's licence.

Have you checked on the requirements. It's not like renting a car.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 AM

You're gonna love New Orleans. Hope you have at least a week to spend there; it's a *great* place to hang out. The 'tourist' stuff is fine; the off-book stuff is much better. There's also a really nice flying group on St Charles Airport (LS40), about 2 miles from MSY (the Class B airport) with their own 'notch' in the Class B airspace.

When you drive from NO to Memphis, try to plan your lunch stop near Jackson MS. My wife & I live at Slobovia Outerntional (MS71), & would love to meet you for lunch.

Charlie
Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post
I'd be surprised if it's legal to fly a rental aircraft in the US on a NZ pilot's licence.

Unless NZ is exempted, it is not possible. But you can get a US validation of your foreign licence. It is not difficult, but it is time consuming. Count on 3 months. Google has plenty of info. Take a recent one. Things have changed a few years ago.
Chairman NVAV (EAA chapter 664 - Dutch experimental aircrafts builders)
Member EAA
Member AOPA
Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Hi
Sadly we're not likely to find an RV with 4 seats that has the payload of a Cessna 182 s.
An RV-10 fits that description. Unfortunately here in the US EAB aircraft cannot be used as rentals.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post

Bob - yes we're across all that thanks. Our New Zealand PPL's can be validated for flight in the USA. It's a bit of a bureaucratic process but is a well-trodden path.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
When you drive from NO to Memphis, try to plan your lunch stop near Jackson MS. My wife & I live at Slobovia Outerntional (MS71), & would love to meet you for lunch.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie. Our plans are fluid at the moment and a lot depends on the location of where we can rent a C182 from. If we come past your way I'll message you as I enjoy talking to other RV owners.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
An RV-10 fits that description. Unfortunately here in the US EAB aircraft cannot be used as rentals.
Yep - it's a shame that you can't rent an RV-10. That would be fun if you could persuade someone to part with the "love of their life".
Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM

It might be wothwhile giving Van Bortel Aircraft a call. They sell a lot of Cessnas, are based in Texas, and may have relationships with places that rent aircraft.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 01-15-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Bob - yes we're across all that thanks. Our New Zealand PPL's can be validated for flight in the USA. It's a bit of a bureaucratic process but is a well-trodden path.
Pete, I suspect there might be a lot of foreign pilots on this forum who would be very interested in what is entailed in validating a foreign PPL for flight in the USA.

Have you actually done it. How long did it take. Do you have to present in the US for flight testing. Do you have to present in the US for a theory test. Is the validation current for only a limited period. How much does it cost.