Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Did anyone see the BRS chute for RV-7 / 9 at Oshkosh?

I would have checked it out had I known.

I just came across this press release:

BRS AEROSPACE ANNOUNCES INNOVATIVE SAFETY PARACHUTE FOR VANS RV-7 and RV-9 SERIES AIRCRAFT

South St. Paul, MN, July 25, 2013 ? BRS Aerospace is pleased to announce the availability of a BRS whole-airframe emergency recovery system for the Vans RV-7 and RV-9. The bag deployed system meets the ASTM Standard F 2316-12 for recovery parachutes. The unit is stowed in a specially designed frame suspended from structural aluminum angles spanning the upper aircraft longerons on each side of the aircraft on the back side of the aft baggage bulkhead. It deploys out of the right side of the fuselage behind the wing and angled upwards.

?We are very excited to release this installation to the Vans Aircraft market,? says BRS Aerospace CEO, Larry E. Williams. ?We listened to the customer base and responded?. Our most frequently request for an installation is on a Vans Aircraft ? BRS Aerospace answered with the installation kit you see today that incorporates key features to allow the kit builder to perform the installation. ?I am very proud of our designers and engineers who crafted such a well-thought out solution for the Vans RV-7 and -9,? Mr. Williams added.

BRS Aerospace will display the RV-9 installation on a fuselage at its booth during EAA AirVenture at Oshkosh next week.

Since 1981, BRS has delivered more than 30,000 parachute systems to aircraft owners worldwide, including over 3,500 systems on FAA-certificated aircraft. To date, BRS parachute recovery systems have been credited with saving the lives of 299 pilots and passengers. To promote this new installation, BRS Aerospace is offering a corresponding $299 discount to customers who place an order and put down a deposit on the system during AirVenture.

The installation kit for the RV-7/9 series is now offered for sale with a lead-time of approximately 6-8 weeks after placement of the order.

They also have a picture of the install.

http://brsparachutes.com/pressreleases.aspx
2021 VAF supporter
Old 08-08-2013, 06:05 PM

Yep (I'm based at South St. Paul - home of the BRS folks actually - and have seen this a couple of times).

Ask them if they've ever tested it. Their answer is probably not what you might expect.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 PM

I'm assuming that it has not been tested in a Vans aircraft. -Which does reduce the value of the system.

I have requested more info from them.

I have flown a Cirrus a good bit and I have come to believe that the parachute can be a good idea.

Just curious about the RV install- weight, cg change, etc.
2021 VAF supporter
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Default I saw it

I too fly a Cirrus and would be interested in a good chute installation. It weighs a tad over 40 lbs. it uses a pretty obvious system of adhering a strap cavity to the airframe that they did a fair job of disguising by using the right paint selections. They have not tested it other than ground deployments.

They need to do some real testing. Other little workable problems are they have straps and lots of metal around an area we builders often put EFIS equipment or antennas. It's weight and location will be an issue (more or less depending on each planes equipment) and, there is no way to say this nicely, the installation will hurt aesthetic's.

A typical RV is going to take something on the order of a 6% hit on useful load and it is pretty far back (just behind the baggage compartment bulkhead and takes up space to the next one). If you have a forward CG, that might be attractive but if you don't it will aggravate a already aft CG plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-avl View Post
I'm assuming that it has not been tested in a Vans aircraft. -Which does reduce the value of the system.

I have requested more info from them.

I have flown a Cirrus a good bit and I have come to believe that the parachute can be a good idea.

Just curious about the RV install- weight, cg change, etc.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I got a chance to see it under development at the factory a few months ago, and Roger hit most of the high points I'd make. I actually think that the glass channel that they were laying out to hide the straps could be cleverly hidden in the paint scheme pretty effectively - better than I originally envisioned.

Everyone does their own risk/cost trades when they build and equip an airplane, and no doubt, for some this would make the cut, so having it as an available option for those folks certainly doesn't hurt those for whom it doesn't. It will certainly reduce useful load and affect CG.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 PM

What condition would require a chute other than a pilot completely giving up or wings that are totally iced over?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 PM

After seeing it, I think Paul is right that it could be disguised fairly easily with the right paint scheme. Likewise, I imagine you could glass a smoother transition over the lines as well, which would make them less obvious. Having the option for a chute is fantastic I think. I know some people think parachutes don't belong in airplanes and that pilots should just continue to fly the plane to the ground, but faced with a dead engine over rough terrain and a slim chance of survivability in a crash, I wouldn't mind having the option. I suppose I'd think differently if primarily flying over fields or road grids all day.

The weight and cg consequences of the thing is the only part that disappoints me. But if that could be worked through then I'd consider it. I think the price was pretty steep though. To each his own.

Last edited by skelrad : 08-08-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
What condition would require a chute other than a pilot completely giving up or wings that are totally iced over?
I assume that this will not help an aircraft in an unusual attitude, or a spin for example. Perhaps I'm wrong. I don't see it being much help in an inverted spin for example.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 PM

I suppose it could improve your survival chances with an engine failure over rugged terrain or at night. You wouldn't have any choice on how big of a rock you'd come crashing down on.

It looked pretty well built to me. My notes said it weighed about 40 lbs. and cost over $10,000. Everyone has their own cost/benefit analysis to do.

For now, I'll pass.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
A mid-air collision.

Dave