VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Txflyer's Avatar
Txflyer Txflyer is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wild Blue Yonder
Posts: 19
Red face Dilemma

Here's the thing.

I've located an RV-8 that I think I want to buy. But the older gentleman is having health problems and can't fly it the hours needed for phase I or a ferry permit. Well, he said he could maybe, but I doubt it. IT'S A BRAND NEW RV-8! >>> 0 SMOH, 0 TTAF, 0 prop, basic instruments. IO-360 200h.p. It flies, no NAV instruments. It has an airworthiness ticket.

After I go look and fly, and if I buy it which I think I would if it's everything I think it is ....

Two questions: Is there a way to get this plane flying or a temp. ferry to TX in a reasonable amount of time? and if not, will it all fit on a 22' lowboy gooseneck? My buddy said he has wing carriers for his 8 that I can borrow if it will all fit on my trailer. He thinks we can put the tail up on the gooseneck tongue if we have to.



Thanks in advance. And sorry if this is a total jerk noob thread. I own a C-180. Here's my 180. The RV-8 will be my girlfriend #2.



__________________
......................................
tailwinds ..

Last edited by Txflyer : 06-11-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: please the masses ...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 PM
NYTOM NYTOM is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 1,148
Thumbs down Please be a little respectful.

It's not a Total Jerk Noob Thread except the part where you call the builder an "Old Geezer". Come on , show a little respect for the older gentleman, after all he did build an airplane.
__________________
Tom Norwood
Classic "Short Tail 6A N822PM
TMX-O360 FP
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Bill_H's Avatar
Bill_H Bill_H is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Marshall TX (KASL)
Posts: 1,787
Default

Perhaps other pilots could do the fly off before you take possession? Perhaps the DAR who signed off could modify the operating restrictions to allow a ferry flight over unpopulated area to a new fly off zone? Can a different DAR modify the operating limitations than the one who originally signed off?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Jesse's Avatar
Jesse Jesse is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: X35 - Ocala, FL
Posts: 3,683
Default

If it truly is 0 TT, then it must be flown for 25 hours or 40 hours of Phase 1 before carrying a passenger. You say it flies, but that can only mean it has flown, so it must be >0 TT. Technically, the Phase 1 must be flown in the prescribed geographical test flit area. I have heard of cases where a corridor has been given beyond the normal test flight radius, but not a very long one. The complication may be that if you don't finish phase 1 in the location in the operating limitations, you will need new operating limitations and a new airworthiness certificate to change the area, which would be required for a "corridor" or if you trailer it. If you don't have the time to do Phase 1 in its current location, they may allow a shorter phase 1A (my term) in the original area, then a ferry flight, then the balance of phase 1 in your area, which would require new Op Lims and AW Cert.

Oh, and the plane will never be certified, but it is already certificated. No Nav instruments are required for flight.

As far as fitting, I can fit an RV-10 in a 30' gooseneck trailer, but it needs to come off the gear. In the same trailer I fit an RV-9A and a powered parachute, the latter of which was using up the last 6-10 feet of the trailer. Depending on the height and width of your trailer, you may need to remove he wheels or the gear legs, but I'd recommend you measure a local -8 and see if it will fit. Oh, and the -9A didn't have an engine mounted.
__________________
Jesse Saint
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Flyguytki's Avatar
Flyguytki Flyguytki is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fairbanks AK
Posts: 758
Default

I asked this Very questions just a few weeks ago when mine got its airworthiness. The answer is:

YES! You have to talk with a DAR and he can give you a special permit to ferry the airplane. He may require you to fly a few hours off in the immediate area to ensure there are no problems that arise but then you can get the authorization to ferry it to its new location when it is within the 40 hour test period.

I'm sure Mel or some of the other DAR's will be able to chime in and give us the exact regs.
__________________
RV-7 N87DX Built, Flown, and Sold!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM
DaveO DaveO is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Greenfield, IN
Posts: 353
Default

What about insurance for that "first flight". Might want to think about what if?
Best to you.
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Txflyer's Avatar
Txflyer Txflyer is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wild Blue Yonder
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTOM View Post
It's not a Total Jerk Noob Thread except the part where you call the builder an "Old Geezer". Come on , show a little respect for the older gentleman, after all he did build an airplane.

Really? We that thin skinned around here?

People call me an old geezer. It's a colorful Texas figure of speech. No disrespect meant.

I'll go back and put 'older gentlemen' for peace's sake. Thanks for the tips guys. I hope it's a good bird and I'm looking forward to owning one, even if I can't build one, or this one does not work out.
__________________
......................................
tailwinds ..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Txflyer's Avatar
Txflyer Txflyer is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wild Blue Yonder
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoakes@att.net View Post
What about insurance for that "first flight". Might want to think about what if?
Best to you.
Dave

I'll get liability, but I'll probably go self insured on this one.
__________________
......................................
tailwinds ..

Last edited by Txflyer : 06-11-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Txflyer's Avatar
Txflyer Txflyer is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wild Blue Yonder
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
If it truly is 0 TT, then it must be flown for 25 hours or 40 hours of Phase 1 before carrying a passenger. You say it flies, but that can only mean it has flown, so it must be >0 TT. Technically, the Phase 1 must be flown in the prescribed geographical test flit area. I have heard of cases where a corridor has been given beyond the normal test flight radius, but not a very long one. The complication may be that if you don't finish phase 1 in the location in the operating limitations, you will need new operating limitations and a new airworthiness certificate to change the area, which would be required for a "corridor" or if you trailer it. If you don't have the time to do Phase 1 in its current location, they may allow a shorter phase 1A (my term) in the original area, then a ferry flight, then the balance of phase 1 in your area, which would require new Op Lims and AW Cert.

Oh, and the plane will never be certified, but it is already certificated. No Nav instruments are required for flight.

As far as fitting, I can fit an RV-10 in a 30' gooseneck trailer, but it needs to come off the gear. In the same trailer I fit an RV-9A and a powered parachute, the latter of which was using up the last 6-10 feet of the trailer. Depending on the height and width of your trailer, you may need to remove he wheels or the gear legs, but I'd recommend you measure a local -8 and see if it will fit. Oh, and the -9A didn't have an engine mounted.


Thanks. I think you nailed it. The plane is certificated, not certified... my bad.

The builder/owner flies it, but phase I is not done like you said. He did say it requires the 40 hours, all of it I think. Bare with me, I'm learning fast here. 15 hours was mentioned by my buddy for a ferry permit, but I'm not familiar with the intricacies of that exactly either. I could fly there and put 15 on it in a few days pretty easy if I'm qualified, but not 25 or 40. If they will allow a split phase I with a ferry like you were talking about, that might work.

It's starting to sound like it's going to have to be trailer loaded and re-certificated here and start from scratch. My trailer is 6' wide, 22' lowboy flatbed. We may do it, because the plane looks cherry, and the price is very right.
__________________
......................................
tailwinds ..

Last edited by Txflyer : 06-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM
wjb's Avatar
wjb wjb is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 1,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
RV-8 will be my girlfriend #2.

No, it will be Queen #1; all else will be wanna-be's
__________________
Bill Bencze
N430WB RV-7 @KHAF, Flying
VAF 2021 donation happily made
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.