Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM

Red face Dilemma

Here's the thing.

I've located an RV-8 that I think I want to buy. But the older gentleman is having health problems and can't fly it the hours needed for phase I or a ferry permit. Well, he said he could maybe, but I doubt it. IT'S A BRAND NEW RV-8! >>> 0 SMOH, 0 TTAF, 0 prop, basic instruments. IO-360 200h.p. It flies, no NAV instruments. It has an airworthiness ticket.

After I go look and fly, and if I buy it which I think I would if it's everything I think it is ....

Two questions: Is there a way to get this plane flying or a temp. ferry to TX in a reasonable amount of time? and if not, will it all fit on a 22' lowboy gooseneck? My buddy said he has wing carriers for his 8 that I can borrow if it will all fit on my trailer. He thinks we can put the tail up on the gooseneck tongue if we have to.

Thanks in advance. And sorry if this is a total jerk noob thread. I own a C-180. Here's my 180. The RV-8 will be my girlfriend #2.

Last edited by Txflyer : 06-11-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: please the masses ...
Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 PM

Thumbs down Please be a little respectful.

It's not a Total Jerk Noob Thread except the part where you call the builder an "Old Geezer". Come on , show a little respect for the older gentleman, after all he did build an airplane.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM

Perhaps other pilots could do the fly off before you take possession? Perhaps the DAR who signed off could modify the operating restrictions to allow a ferry flight over unpopulated area to a new fly off zone? Can a different DAR modify the operating limitations than the one who originally signed off?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:07 PM

If it truly is 0 TT, then it must be flown for 25 hours or 40 hours of Phase 1 before carrying a passenger. You say it flies, but that can only mean it has flown, so it must be >0 TT. Technically, the Phase 1 must be flown in the prescribed geographical test flit area. I have heard of cases where a corridor has been given beyond the normal test flight radius, but not a very long one. The complication may be that if you don't finish phase 1 in the location in the operating limitations, you will need new operating limitations and a new airworthiness certificate to change the area, which would be required for a "corridor" or if you trailer it. If you don't have the time to do Phase 1 in its current location, they may allow a shorter phase 1A (my term) in the original area, then a ferry flight, then the balance of phase 1 in your area, which would require new Op Lims and AW Cert.

Oh, and the plane will never be certified, but it is already certificated. No Nav instruments are required for flight.

As far as fitting, I can fit an RV-10 in a 30' gooseneck trailer, but it needs to come off the gear. In the same trailer I fit an RV-9A and a powered parachute, the latter of which was using up the last 6-10 feet of the trailer. Depending on the height and width of your trailer, you may need to remove he wheels or the gear legs, but I'd recommend you measure a local -8 and see if it will fit. Oh, and the -9A didn't have an engine mounted.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM

I asked this Very questions just a few weeks ago when mine got its airworthiness. The answer is:

YES! You have to talk with a DAR and he can give you a special permit to ferry the airplane. He may require you to fly a few hours off in the immediate area to ensure there are no problems that arise but then you can get the authorization to ferry it to its new location when it is within the 40 hour test period.

I'm sure Mel or some of the other DAR's will be able to chime in and give us the exact regs.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM

What about insurance for that "first flight". Might want to think about what if?
Best to you.
Dave
Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTOM View Post
It's not a Total Jerk Noob Thread except the part where you call the builder an "Old Geezer". Come on , show a little respect for the older gentleman, after all he did build an airplane.

Really? We that thin skinned around here?

People call me an old geezer. It's a colorful Texas figure of speech. No disrespect meant.

I'll go back and put 'older gentlemen' for peace's sake. Thanks for the tips guys. I hope it's a good bird and I'm looking forward to owning one, even if I can't build one, or this one does not work out.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoakes@att.net View Post
What about insurance for that "first flight". Might want to think about what if?
Best to you.
Dave

I'll get liability, but I'll probably go self insured on this one.

Last edited by Txflyer : 06-11-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
If it truly is 0 TT, then it must be flown for 25 hours or 40 hours of Phase 1 before carrying a passenger. You say it flies, but that can only mean it has flown, so it must be >0 TT. Technically, the Phase 1 must be flown in the prescribed geographical test flit area. I have heard of cases where a corridor has been given beyond the normal test flight radius, but not a very long one. The complication may be that if you don't finish phase 1 in the location in the operating limitations, you will need new operating limitations and a new airworthiness certificate to change the area, which would be required for a "corridor" or if you trailer it. If you don't have the time to do Phase 1 in its current location, they may allow a shorter phase 1A (my term) in the original area, then a ferry flight, then the balance of phase 1 in your area, which would require new Op Lims and AW Cert.

Oh, and the plane will never be certified, but it is already certificated. No Nav instruments are required for flight.

As far as fitting, I can fit an RV-10 in a 30' gooseneck trailer, but it needs to come off the gear. In the same trailer I fit an RV-9A and a powered parachute, the latter of which was using up the last 6-10 feet of the trailer. Depending on the height and width of your trailer, you may need to remove he wheels or the gear legs, but I'd recommend you measure a local -8 and see if it will fit. Oh, and the -9A didn't have an engine mounted.

Thanks. I think you nailed it. The plane is certificated, not certified... my bad.

The builder/owner flies it, but phase I is not done like you said. He did say it requires the 40 hours, all of it I think. Bare with me, I'm learning fast here. 15 hours was mentioned by my buddy for a ferry permit, but I'm not familiar with the intricacies of that exactly either. I could fly there and put 15 on it in a few days pretty easy if I'm qualified, but not 25 or 40. If they will allow a split phase I with a ferry like you were talking about, that might work.

It's starting to sound like it's going to have to be trailer loaded and re-certificated here and start from scratch. My trailer is 6' wide, 22' lowboy flatbed. We may do it, because the plane looks cherry, and the price is very right.

Last edited by Txflyer : 06-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
RV-8 will be my girlfriend #2.

No, it will be Queen #1; all else will be wanna-be's