- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:52 PM

Default here's a skinny one????

Okay, this one may not be complete, but it looks only 2" wide, and could have almost NO structure below where you need the most pudge margins!

perhaps it's just an armrest...but for sure, someone will try to step on it!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM

Default my version in carbon fiber

This photo shows my center console as I fabricated and installed in my 7, with the photo showing the close fit of the fully deflected stick against my fat thigh. The console is 2 inches wide.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Carbon-Fiber Center Console

Steve,

Wow - the width, design and construction of your carbon-fiber console look perfect!

Do you work with composites for a living?

How easily can it be removed for additional access (when necessary)?

How difficult is something like that to make for someone with basic -very basic - fiberglassing skills?

Thanks for any help/advice that you can offer!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:11 PM

Default Cover with fake carbon fiber vinyl

First Steve, your center piece looks great. Beautiful workmanship.

As an alternative to us who don't work with carbon fiber, just make it out of aluminum or even 1/4" plywood, then cover it with leather or fabric on the sides and that vinyl that looks like carbon fiber on the top.

I made a mock up out of plywood to see if I liked it. I spent all of about 10 minutes on it as you will see. My thought was it would give me a place to push on when I was getting in or out. I am still undecided. It is only long enough to rest my arm on it. This is an old picture showing the size.

The shape is comfortable on my arm and it still allows easy access to the floor area. I am leaning on leaving it out because it doesn't really help getting in or out that much.

Flying N376E
Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 PM

Thank you Jim for your kind words. Everything I know about composite layup I learned either here from Dan Horton's postings and from Wally Anderson's class. I certainly don't do composites for a living!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:22 AM

Default console

I built the console but never installed it. It looks great but I am a big guy and I decided I needed the extra room and wanted the ability to stretch by legs in a long flight.

I think it all depends on your size.
Currently Building RV14a
jim.potter@cox.net

Once you have tasted flight you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return - Leonardo DaVinci

"There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight." - Elrey B. Jeppesen
Old 04-05-2014, 07:14 AM

Bonehead composites used to sell a center console and tunnel, I found it to be the perfect alternative as it was not in between the seats taking up precious space but it still allowed a quadrant and looked awesome. I just checked his site and I don't see it but it might be worth a call or email to him. Here it is in the 7 that I built.

http://n87dx.com/2012/07/08/center-t...ttle-quadrant/
Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I have seen some very nice looking consoles that make the cockpit form fitting, and as one who has built a form-fitting RV-3 cockpit, I understand the desire completely! BTW, I also agree that carbon-fiber one a few posts back is gorgeous.

I have found, however, that in addition to the maintenance access considerations (I used to own a Yankee with a center console, and rudder pedal maintenance was almost impossible with the console), if you plan on long-distance cross-countries, it is sure nice to be able to stretch your legs around. Yesterday I flew almost eight hours into headwinds from east Texas to SOCAL in our -6, and spent a lot of my time with my legs draped diagonally across the cockpit in order to keep from getting sore or cramped up.

One thing you might try that could sound silly - but is worth it if you plan to keep and fly your airplane for years, is to spend a day sitting in the cockpit in the workshop. Set up a TV with some movies, have some drink bottles handy (and maybe something to catch the "discharge"), have your computer handy and study for something....back in my NASA days, we did this all the time - "all up simulations".

You'll have the airplane a long time - it's worth the effort to know how comfortable it will be for YOU.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com