Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-FAH Q View Post
Care to prove that point.? I can't seem to get my head around that? Up high, doesn't VNE TAS come into play, if so, the 7 wins.Mind you, I'm not very smart, so go easy on me.
Sure, go to Van's site and look at the numbers for the two planes with the O-320. The -9 can climb higher and faster than the -7. If you get up into the teens, the -9 will win hands down due to the wing.

Also, they both have the same 210 MPH VNE TAS.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Care to prove that point.? I can't seem to get my head around that? Up high, doesn't VNE TAS come into play, if so, the 7 wins.Mind you, I'm not very smart, so go easy on me.
Well I am not Bill and I am not sure what I say here will "prove" anything to you, but, I fly a lot with buddies in their 7. We often fly in loose trail together for long cross country trips. We fill up together on those trips and I am always comparing fuel burn, speeds, rpm readings, MP readings, etc. Mainly because I believe I need a different pitched prop for cruise than what I currently have. Even though my prop is not as efficient as I think it needs to be, I am always just as fast as my buddies' 7's. On most fuel stops we are close to the same fuel burn but often I am using less fuel to fly the same speed. Even though I am not optimized for cruise with this prop yet. Once I am able to get the prop pitch dialed in I think I will out perform them in cruise. And I know I will be out performing them at 10K and higher.

Not sure I follow why you say up high the "7 wins". If the 7 and the 9 have relatively the same Vne how does the 7 win when the higher aspect ratio wing of the 9 is going to produce less drag than the 7 up high? Bumping into the Vne is just as likely in a 7 as it is in a 9.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻

Last edited by RVbySDI : 01-31-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM

I was one of those folks who had no interest in aerobatics - until I had tried a few sessions of upside down fun. If you aren't positive you don't want to do aerobatics, invest in a cheap experiment of some aerobatic instruction before you decide...
Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 AM

According to Vans the 9 is more efficient in the cruise at altitude than the 7 or the 14. See This post

Fin
9A

Last edited by Finley Atherton : 02-01-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post

Also, they both have the same 210 MPH VNE TAS.
No, they don't. VNE on a 7 is 230 mph. And if your in the teens, TAS will be a concern. As per this article from Vans http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/hp_limts.pdf

Either way, both great aircraft and fun to fly.
www.Facebook.com/Purplehillair
www.purplehillair.com
C-FAH Q now N281CT
gwilcox3 @ gmail.com
Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM

I know many don't like to think that they might one day have to sell their RV, however it does happen. Look at today's market you are very very lucky to break even on a new build even if you sell it the day you fly off the 40 hours. The market is completely saturated with 7(a) 8(a) and 9(a)'s. There is something to say for that as well though, They are fantastic airplanes absolutely nothing wrong with them, however they are yesterdays airplane. If that doesn't bother you then by all means go for it. If I were to build again and had the option between a 7/9 or 14 hands down it would be the 14. Fuel burn is all in the pilot, you can burn as much or as little as you want, its a bit more expensive to build however I think you would have no problem getting that money right back IF you had to part with it. I will admit I am of the "younger generation" here on VAF so we may see things differently however I say go with the new technology, its an RV so you will not be disappointing either way.

Of course this is just my 2 cents and we all know its worth less the that
Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Default All good comments...

I appreciate all the thoughts. Sleeping on the decision till Monday because I can't do anything before then anyway can I? Too bad I have an RV-9 empennage on my hands because it is a little wasted money. But to have an RV-14 seems a better way to go. I sure wish the quickbuild was available. But on the other hand the easier assembly may make that moot. I don't think it takes special jigs to get everything lined up the way it is made.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA_BTR View Post
I appreciate all the thoughts. Sleeping on the decision till Monday because I can't do anything before then anyway can I? Too bad I have an RV-9 empennage on my hands because it is a little wasted money. But to have an RV-14 seems a better way to go. I sure wish the quickbuild was available. But on the other hand the easier assembly may make that moot. I don't think it takes special jigs to get everything lined up the way it is made.
If I were to do it again, I would do the 14. Now the question is, little wheel on which end?
www.Facebook.com/Purplehillair
www.purplehillair.com
C-FAH Q now N281CT
gwilcox3 @ gmail.com
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
If I were to do it again, I would do the 14. Now the question is, little wheel on which end?
The tail, OF COURSE!
Serial #140087, N214SW - Sold
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM

Is the 14 that much easier to build than a 7 or a 9 for a first time builder?