VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 PM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 12,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-FAH Q View Post
Care to prove that point.? I can't seem to get my head around that? Up high, doesn't VNE TAS come into play, if so, the 7 wins.Mind you, I'm not very smart, so go easy on me.
Sure, go to Van's site and look at the numbers for the two planes with the O-320. The -9 can climb higher and faster than the -7. If you get up into the teens, the -9 will win hands down due to the wing.

Also, they both have the same 210 MPH VNE TAS.
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-31-2014, 11:05 PM
RVbySDI's Avatar
RVbySDI RVbySDI is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tuttle, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-FAH Q View Post
Care to prove that point.? I can't seem to get my head around that? Up high, doesn't VNE TAS come into play, if so, the 7 wins.Mind you, I'm not very smart, so go easy on me.
Well I am not Bill and I am not sure what I say here will "prove" anything to you, but, I fly a lot with buddies in their 7. We often fly in loose trail together for long cross country trips. We fill up together on those trips and I am always comparing fuel burn, speeds, rpm readings, MP readings, etc. Mainly because I believe I need a different pitched prop for cruise than what I currently have. Even though my prop is not as efficient as I think it needs to be, I am always just as fast as my buddies' 7's. On most fuel stops we are close to the same fuel burn but often I am using less fuel to fly the same speed. Even though I am not optimized for cruise with this prop yet. Once I am able to get the prop pitch dialed in I think I will out perform them in cruise. And I know I will be out performing them at 10K and higher.

Not sure I follow why you say up high the "7 wins". If the 7 and the 9 have relatively the same Vne how does the 7 win when the higher aspect ratio wing of the 9 is going to produce less drag than the 7 up high? Bumping into the Vne is just as likely in a 7 as it is in a 9.
__________________
RVBYSDI
Steve
RV9A
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻

Last edited by RVbySDI : 01-31-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM
kevinh's Avatar
kevinh kevinh is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 1,419
Default

I was one of those folks who had no interest in aerobatics - until I had tried a few sessions of upside down fun. If you aren't positive you don't want to do aerobatics, invest in a cheap experiment of some aerobatic instruction before you decide...
__________________
-kevinh, Track my RV-7A, flying, alas, sold in 2013 after 450ish hours. (I'm now building something different)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Finley Atherton Finley Atherton is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: AUSTRALIA
Posts: 753
Default

According to Vans the 9 is more efficient in the cruise at altitude than the 7 or the 14. See This post

Fin
9A

Last edited by Finley Atherton : 02-01-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2014, 04:36 AM
C-FAH Q's Avatar
C-FAH Q C-FAH Q is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
.

Also, they both have the same 210 MPH VNE TAS.
No, they don't. VNE on a 7 is 230 mph. And if your in the teens, TAS will be a concern. As per this article from Vans http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/hp_limts.pdf

Either way, both great aircraft and fun to fly.
__________________
Gary Wilcox
St.Thomas, Ontario. CYQS
RV7 Sold
www.Facebook.com/Purplehillair
www.purplehillair.com
C-FAH Q now N281CT
gwilcox3 @ gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Flyguytki's Avatar
Flyguytki Flyguytki is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fairbanks AK
Posts: 758
Default

I know many don't like to think that they might one day have to sell their RV, however it does happen. Look at today's market you are very very lucky to break even on a new build even if you sell it the day you fly off the 40 hours. The market is completely saturated with 7(a) 8(a) and 9(a)'s. There is something to say for that as well though, They are fantastic airplanes absolutely nothing wrong with them, however they are yesterdays airplane. If that doesn't bother you then by all means go for it. If I were to build again and had the option between a 7/9 or 14 hands down it would be the 14. Fuel burn is all in the pilot, you can burn as much or as little as you want, its a bit more expensive to build however I think you would have no problem getting that money right back IF you had to part with it. I will admit I am of the "younger generation" here on VAF so we may see things differently however I say go with the new technology, its an RV so you will not be disappointing either way.

Of course this is just my 2 cents and we all know its worth less the that
__________________
RV-7 N87DX Built, Flown, and Sold!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM
JDA_BTR JDA_BTR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,217
Default All good comments...

I appreciate all the thoughts. Sleeping on the decision till Monday because I can't do anything before then anyway can I? Too bad I have an RV-9 empennage on my hands because it is a little wasted money. But to have an RV-14 seems a better way to go. I sure wish the quickbuild was available. But on the other hand the easier assembly may make that moot. I don't think it takes special jigs to get everything lined up the way it is made.
__________________
Ser 140142, RV-14A flying - N1463
Ser 83825, RV-8 building - N8638?
USN Ret, Urologist, AME, Repeat Offender
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-01-2014, 09:13 AM
C-FAH Q's Avatar
C-FAH Q C-FAH Q is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDA_BTR View Post
I appreciate all the thoughts. Sleeping on the decision till Monday because I can't do anything before then anyway can I? Too bad I have an RV-9 empennage on my hands because it is a little wasted money. But to have an RV-14 seems a better way to go. I sure wish the quickbuild was available. But on the other hand the easier assembly may make that moot. I don't think it takes special jigs to get everything lined up the way it is made.
If I were to do it again, I would do the 14. Now the question is, little wheel on which end?
__________________
Gary Wilcox
St.Thomas, Ontario. CYQS
RV7 Sold
www.Facebook.com/Purplehillair
www.purplehillair.com
C-FAH Q now N281CT
gwilcox3 @ gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM
jswareiv jswareiv is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-FAH Q View Post
If I were to do it again, I would do the 14. Now the question is, little wheel on which end?
The tail, OF COURSE!
__________________
Stoney
First RV-14 Flight 04/17/2016
Serial #140087, N214SW - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM
FlyinRhino FlyinRhino is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Broussard, LA
Posts: 19
Default

Is the 14 that much easier to build than a 7 or a 9 for a first time builder?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.