-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Let me add, that if you don't want to hang more external antennas, an Archer wingtip antenna works fine in a ten's big tips for localizer/GS, and is more than adequate for a backup VOR. Also a few dollars cheaper.
Just to show it can happen, my last ifr student's cross country took place in perfect training weather - IMC the whole time but well above freezing. We planned the LPV at Chico (minimums 300 and 1) but by the time we got there the ceiling had dropped to near 200. The ILS got us in when the LPV wouldn't. Also, don't discount the chance that interference of some sort might render all on board GPS radios useless.
One more thing about the GTN location: get a hold of an installation manual. There are requirements (part of the TSO so it matters) on how far away from the pilot's centerline of vision the box may be. If you are out of these limits you need annunciator lights.

Last edited by BobTurner : 10-17-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinAir View Post
Someone will wonder "why the heck did he not just get the better box" and scratch their heads. Heck, even if you don't sell the plane people will still wonder!
Disclosure: I bought a 420W + SL30 (from Stein!) knowing full well it would cost $1K + more than a 430W + SL40. Reason: I did not want all my nav eggs in one basket. Just in case you were wondering!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 PM

Justin,

Very nice panel! The removable iPad with storage space is a nice feature I haven't seen before.

These are a few comments from my viewpoint:

Its nice to see you included the new SkyView COM radio. It took us a little while to start shipping them, but the radios have excellent specs and performance in the field. You will love the database driven button-touch tuning.

Dynon will gladly sell you a D6; many customers want one as a backup and it does offer independent software and battery backup separate from any other PFD it is added to. A dual SkyView is designed for IFR redundancy and is more reliability that most GA avionics systems flying, but the D6 by definition adds even more redundancy at a fairly low price.

That being said, I personally fly behind a redundant two ADAHRS SkyView without a D6. The redundancy design goal of SkyView is that no single point failure reduces flight functionality. For example, loss of a data line (short or open) just transfers data to the second line. You do receive a warning so that you know to fix the failed data line. Even the loss of a display automatically transfers all control to the second display for continued flight information and autopilot functionality.

SkyView software has an excellent history in regards to the extreme rarity of even single-display in-flight glitches. Some units had a component hardware failure which we replaced through a service bulletin, but that has not caused any two screen failures. We are very open in our forums to the entire community and do not hold any information back. If you ever have a question about a failure discussion on our forum, please ask us for any clarification on the end results and causes.

As you are planning the location of the various SkyView components, do you know we have dimensional drawings for everything? You can find them at http://dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_design_info.html

Please let us know if you have any specific questions.

-Robert
Dynon Avionics
Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 PM

I'm toying with Solidworks as I contemplate a panel re-do as well, so I appreciate the amount of work that's gone into that model...

I second other people's comments on the asymmetry of the layout. Personally, I plan for the radio stack to be centered, so either seat can access it... Then I can place one screen on either side. I've seen many panels with dual screens on the pilot's side, and radios way off in the boonies in front of the passenger. My radio is currently just right of center, and I find it slightly (not much, just a bit) awkward to use in that location.

I'll PM my email address, i'd be interested in the model files if you'd like to share.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 AM

Default Fuel Valve

Hi Justin,

Thanks for submitting this, your setup is exactly how I would like things.

Can I ask two things 1 how you have attached the ipad did you use an aftermarket bracket.

and 2 you mention a new Fuel valve from Vans can I ask what part number that is?

Best Rgs

Chad Boot
RV10 Standard Fuselage Complete
RV10 Empennage complete
RV-7 Flying VH-VNZ
Tech Councillor - Sports Aircraft Assn of Australia

2021 Dues Paid
Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 AM

One thing I might add. I concur with Stein's comments regarding access to equipment located in the firewall bay of the sub-panel. You need to be a contortionist to get up there. Mount as much as you can on the sub-panel immediately behind the main panel. Also, we have a 3 screen G3X system, and we purposely installed a display directly in front of the co-pilot. This was done because my wife and father are both pilots and we wanted to ability to share the flying on long trips.
The field of view requirement that Bob referred to for IFR installations of the GPS is 12.2 inches from the pilot center line FOV.
First Flight Oct 2012
Aviation Partners, LLC

Last edited by Bill.Peyton : 10-18-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootscooter View Post
Hi Justin,

Thanks for submitting this, your setup is exactly how I would like things.

Can I ask two things 1 how you have attached the ipad did you use an aftermarket bracket.

and 2 you mention a new Fuel valve from Vans can I ask what part number that is?

Best Rgs

Chad Boot
1. I haven't finalized that detail yet. I've seen some brackets out there that may work (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...dmini-dock.php
or I have a design in mind for a really simple bracket that I would build.
2. It's the standard fuel valve that is shipping with the fuselage kits. (Received tail and fuse kit in March 2012...looks like the locking feature started in 2008). I didn't upgrade anything. It is no longer the cheasy looking "hose spigot" it was before. This is machined aluminum and must be lifted to turn and switch tanks. I plan on anodizing or powder coating it red and will be perfectly happy with the standard valve. The plans say the PN is VA-178B.
http://buildingrv10.blogspot.com
Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.Peyton View Post
The field of view requirement that Bob referred to for IFR installations of the GPS is 12.2 inches from the pilot center line FOV.
My model shows 19.1" pilot center to GPS center or 15.9" pilot center to GPS inboard edge. So it looks like some rearranging is in order. While I'm at it I'll move all the components on or forward of the sub-panel.

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming.
http://buildingrv10.blogspot.com
Old 10-18-2013, 09:43 AM

Justin, if you center a skyviews on the pilot side and co pilot side with the gps and radios in the middle you should be able to fix the issue. I just sold my 7 which had a set up similar to yours however only an iPad instead of the GPS. I found myself using only the skyviews in front of me and the iPad, the 2nd skyviews was primarily to show the large engine page and for the copilot to see what's going on. Lots of people do t like the iPad in the cockpit. I for one loved foreflight and will never build an airplane without it. In flight I would use foreflight to find the info then plug it into the skyviews. To make a long story short, 2 screens and an iPad are great, however I found myself primarily using just one screen and the iPad/gps, move the second screen over and give the copilot something to look at:-)
Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Excellent job on the Solidworks model!

Your panel is very similar to my original RV-10 panel. I ended up moving the radio stack closer to the pilot and placing a smaller MFD on top of the GTN-650. Have you thought about using a 7" Skyview on top of the GTN650 and then moving the second 10" display in front of the Copilot?

Current panel:

I am getting ready to replace the panel mounted audio panel with the remote mounted PS Engineering PAC15 to clean up the panel even more. I am also going to replace the SL30 with the new Dynon radio.

Let me know if you ever come out to visit Van's and I will take you flying in the RV-10.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems